ordered my custom built 7mm-08, 1 more decision?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by slg888, Jan 22, 2009.

1. slg888

slg888 Well-Known Member

Manners stock, Pheonix action, ect, is beggings of my new rifle, although my last decision on the krieger 24" barrel is what muzzle OD? I do not want a thin barrel, but not a varmit barrel either. I use this rifle for tree stand hunting, and want it to have a above average {larger} muzzle OD. I was thinking .630-.650??? Im guessing that would be between a #3-#4 contour. again, its for a 7mm-08. GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS PLEASE.

2. TAC

TAC Well-Known Member

Those are some very nice components!

If your rifle is going to be strictly a hunting rig, I would choose the number 3 (.630) - I think it will handle very well and still be light enough to carry around... or swing around in a tree stand.

If you plan on also shooting it for fun and practice (hunting season is what... a month) than I would choose the heavy sporter (.670) since it's a little stiffer and can take a few more shots though it before it starts to glow :)
    It'll add about a half a pound to the rifle.

TAC

3. shootinfool

shootinfool Well-Known Member

I have always been partial to the heavy barrels but i think that a #4 would be what you are looking for. If you are worried about the weight then you can always get it fluted and that will shave off a little.