Options for an old Rem 721 30-06?

As far as just sticking to the 30-06, the gun seems to need a new barrel anyway, so I'm thinking why not make some improvements in performance while I'm at it.

Regarding the caliber options, I read through the recent/ongoing thread on 260 vs 6.5-06 and also did some reading on the 280AI. It starts to seem that for what I'm after, they all would be a good fit, as well as the 284 just mentioned. I understand the 280AI improved takes some work to 'make' brass but didn't really understand that whole process and while at the Nosler store this last weekend, suffered a little sticker shock looking at the price of their 280AI brass. Wow!

So, considering those calibers, are there conversion complications to consider (new bolt, etc)? And what are the issues with forming or buying brass for them?

(These may be stupid questions and I should probably have started this thread in the 'getting started' section, but I appreciate the help)

You could rechamber with one of my Sherman reamers with no bolt mods necessary. The end result is short mag performance with an '06 bolt. I have a 300 reamer if you want to stay with 30 caliber. I get 3050' with my 190 grainers in a 28" barrel. I also have a 6.5 reamer which gives me 3200' with 140's in a 26" barrel. A friend of mine is currently builing a .280 Sherman by first reaming with an A.I. reamer and then cleaning it up and headspacing with the 6.5 Sherman reamer and go gauge. The possibilities are endless........Rich:D

No the 284 case is completely different, its a rebated rim case much like a wsm but not that big, it is .320" shorter than an 06 case but has a .501" case head taper to .473 at the 35* shoulder but still has the same bolt face as the 06 and identical powder capacities.

" I'm not interested in rebuilding it as another 06. "

Well, there are many lesser cartridges you can put in it. The .280 is one, not that you or the game would ever know any difference, not until you get to the 200 gr. bullets anyway. :rolleyes:

Just to let you know how far one of these may be taken my dad's 721 ('06) is now a 270 Allen Magnum (300 RUM case).

I'd seriously take elkoholic's offer. I have one of his Sherman cases on my desk that keeps drawing glances followed by deep pondering.:)

I'd seriously take elkoholic's offer. I have one of his Sherman cases on my desk that keeps drawing glances followed by deep pondering.:)

We spoke on the phone not too long ago and it very well be the direction I go when I get to the point of actually doing something. Thanks to all for all the input.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.