Optimum Barrel length for .223 varmit rifle

Imortal Wombat

I am thinking about buying a .223 for some varmit sniping and i was wondering what length barrel will give the highest velocities.

I was also wondering if there is anyone here using the .240 weatherby rocket...if so what do you think of it.

Thanks in advance.

wombat
I have a 22" and 16" barreled .223. Velocity of the same 55gr. load runs about 250fps slower in the 16". Personally I don't see a need to go longer than 22", unless you want to shoot heavier bullets. Than I would go to
24". If you need more move up to a 26" 22-250.

I like my V-match with the 16" tube what it lacks in velocity it makes up for elsware. It is fast handelling, very accurate, and I have alot of confidence with this weapon. This winter it accounted for 8 coyotes over 200yrds, two of them over 350.

The .223 is an easy cartrige to load for, easy on powder, and deadly on varmits. I'm sure you will be happy with one.

Thanks cowboy, the reason that i don't want to get a .22/250 is that where i hunt there are houses sorta close by that complain about the loud report of .22/250's and as supressors are illegal here i figured that a .223 would have to do.

for me i like shorter barrels for the featherweight. it is a lot lighter, but the only reason is that i am usally on long walks other then that it is a personal opinion. i like the barrels from 16 to 18''. if i was goning to do more bench shooting or prarie dogging i would get an 26 or a 28 in a heavy bull barrel.

Immortal. It seems that only one seems to have read your question. I don't know the answer to either of your questions but while reading the responses it was like they were answering a different question.

I don't mean to agitate anyone and it was nice that you guys took time to answer but only snipers answer answers one of the questions as it was asked.

Guys lets try it again for our friend down under.

What length barrel will give the highest velocities (in a .223)

What do you think of the .240 Wby Rocket.

Oh boy, here it comes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

A 240 Wby Rocket? or a 220 Wby Rocket, or a 240 Wby or a 22-240 Wby? Do you have the question right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sorry 4-ked, I thought my reply pretty much answered his ? about velocity from my experience with my .223's.

Wombat, velocity depends on many things only one of which is barrel length. Two barrels the same length may shot the same load 100fps different. there are many things that increase or decrease velocity in different barrels, tolerences, throught lengths, ect.

With all rounds there is an optimal barrel length, at a certain point in length your margin of return in velocity dose not justify a longer tube.

A .223 optimum length in my opinion is 24", if you get a longer barrel it will go faster but not enough to make a practical difference in energy velocity.

I used the example of a 250fps difference from a 16" to a 22" tube length as an example of vel increase over an actual measured difference aprx 41fps, per inch, in my guns with the same load. I could use a different burn rate and that number could change to 29fps per inch, Many variabls.

I hoped that cleared up my answer for you 4-ked, err I mean wombat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

By the way I think a pac-Nor 32" straight taper would give you the fastest velocity in the little .223 Rem. and a 15 gr titanium bullet, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif great velocity dismal b.c.

Hey coyboy. I'm not trying to play forum police and I hope you understand that. I have been frustrated more than just a few times by asking a question and having someone give me a nice answer but not to the question I asked. For example I asked once if I should use a 168 gr .30 cal Nosler J4 OR a .30 cal SGK OR my brothers .338 for bear. The choices I was curious about wer A, B, or C. Well I got lots of answers like - just use a razzledazzle brand bullet or Why not go with a premium bullet. So some how the choices became A, B, C, D, or X. I saw this same thing here so I was trying to help get THE question answered. I would have answered it myself but I don't know the answers. I hope you don't take it personally. I would have done the same thing for you if you asked the question. I guess I saw the question as simply technical. How long can the bbl be and still gain speed. If it is 36 inches or 28 or 47. I do know that a black powder cannon ball gains no speed from a bbl longer than about 10 feet and that is what the question seemed to be. How long before it starts to slow the bullet back down or gains it nothing.

Again I hope this didn't perturb you or any others. I was just trying to help another forum member with something I have found frustrating several times in the past. It's hard to do tactfully but thought I would give it my best effort.

Buffalobob. If you really meant your reply to me then I don't know which of your options were really the subject of the other question. I didn't write the question. I just asked it again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wombat

Are you asking about the 220 Wby Rocket (a blown out 220 Swift) or are you asking about the 240 Wby ( a unique case)?

Or has somebody necked up the 220 Rocket to a 240 and called it a 240 Rocket?

4-ked, just playin with ya. You were right my first post didn't really get to the point. Wombat was thinking of buying a rifle for "sniping varmits". I figured he was interested in practical info, on a factory stick. Pretty much limits to a 26" tube, which would be faster. I just wanted to inject some opinion on usable barrel lenghts. Wouldn't want him to get a 26, and then complain about length/wieght, when a 22" might suit him better. As far as snipping with a .223 barrel length has little to do with accuracy. Maybe I read into his question when the answer should have been 26".

No harm No foul. Jim

See. That's cool. Giving more info is great (At least the way I see it). As long as the original question gets handled every thing else is gravy.

Maybe others don't mind and maybe for some reason it just hit me funny with this post. Oh well I'll try to mind my own business. Thanks for understanding what I was trying to say and not freaking out and getting defensive. You're alright.

There are several things going on here, one of which is an unclear question. And, the two questions are unrelated.

Anybody that has been around for a while would know that "240 Rocket" was probably a typo, or judging by the first question, coming from somebody without extensive knowledge of the subject matter, which is not a sin, by the way.

In the first place, the poster asks about "optimum" barrel length, (my word, for the present) but it sounds like he intends to buy a factory rifle, in which case, there won't be too many choices, and probably none of the choices would be considered optimum, if the meaning is to squeeze as much velocity as practical from that cartridge. The reasonable answer would be to select the longest he can find, which might still be less than "optimum". Now; define optimum? Means different things to different people. Another twelve inches of barrel to gain 50fps? Subjective opinion. But, don't forget, he did say, "highest velocities". How do you really answer that one, from a personal perspective? You start getting into much slower powders than are normally used in a 223. Again, he wants to buy a factory rifle, not get into a technical quest for pure research.

However, we cannot fault those people that reply with whatever information they are able to offer. After all, it's free advice, and well intended.

On the other hand, I understand the frustration if the reply doesn't <u>write to the question</u>; something I learned in school, a long time ago. Some answers are truly worthless, but diplomacy goes a long way toward redirecting the conversation back to where it can provide usable content.

Short answer #1: 22" is blisfully adequate.
short answer #2: anything beyond 220 Swift capacity is overbore, IMHO; and not for the casual recreational shooter.

Good hunting. LB

LB I agree with everything you wrote. Good questions inspire good answers, free advice from well intentioned people has, at the very least, the value of encouraging better or different questions and a diplomatic response can (but dosen't always) focus the conversation.

As to the point of diplomacy, again I did my best albeit a little out of turn, and I thank all those that did not find it chastising but rather saw it as trying to help.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.