Optimal 22-250 setup

Ok, ok lol. I finally tried the 53 gr. V-Maxes... I'm getting right about 0.2" groups at 100 yds. My gun seems to like them at about 0.040" off the lands. Believe it or not, I'm not using Varget haha; I tried them with a load of 39.3 gr. of CFE223. It's plenty accurate for chucks and I'm getting right about 3900 fps out of it! Gotta load up some more and hopefully put them to the test this Thursday and Saturday!

Their nasty! things pop really well:cool:

Ok, ok lol. I finally tried the 53 gr. V-Maxes... I'm getting right about 0.2" groups at 100 yds. My gun seems to like them at about 0.040" off the lands. Believe it or not, I'm not using Varget haha; I tried them with a load of 39.3 gr. of CFE223. It's plenty accurate for chucks and I'm getting right about 3900 fps out of it! Gotta load up some more and hopefully put them to the test this Thursday and Saturday!

knew you'd like em!

Yeah, my gun came with the H-S stock, but still weighs around 16 lbs... :rolleyes: With the group sizes I'm shooting, I can't MAKE myself switch bullets :D. I do shoot the 250 as far as I can, but if it's windy I'll jump to the 220 Swift (52 gr. SMK HPBT @ 3751 fps), 6mm (69 gr. high BC Bergers), or my 7mm (100 gr. Hornady HPFBs :(, NJ legal...), for the added BC edge. You're probably gonna make me try the 53 gr. tho lol.

IMG_1610.jpg

What is that black rubber do-dad near the end of your barrel? Is the barrel vented underneath? I have done any shooting for more'n 10 years and I've a lot of catching up to do.

What is that black rubber do-dad near the end of your barrel? Is the barrel vented underneath? I have done any shooting for more'n 10 years and I've a lot of catching up to do.

The black rubber piece on my barrel is a SVL Harmonic Dampener, it's supposed to decrease your barrels recovery time after the shot to increase your accuracy. It didn't work on this gun, but it's too stretched out to fit on any of my other guns and it didn't hurt accuracy, so I left it on. The barrel is just a standard non-ported barrel...

Good luck.

I've use a 22-250 for the past 15 years or so. It's a great prairie dog round, but past 400 the wind, where I shoot, becomes challenging. Because my barrel is a 14 twist I am limited as to what bullets I use. I have had great success with the Hornady 52 gr A-Max, but mostly I use the 52 gr JLK low drag bullets. Got anothe 1K lot a couple months ago. The barrel will be toast after this next bunch, and then the rifle will be rebarreled to a 7 twist to shoot the 90 gr Bergers... unless I decide to rebarrell to 6XC.

My marmot rifle is a purpose-built 7 mag shooting 180 gr Bergers. Overkill? Not when the ranges start at 800 yards and extend past 1300. You can't beat those .659 G1 BC bullets. My next looooong range marmot rifle will most likely be a .338 Edge or Lapua. Higher BC's for 1 mile + shooting.
It's all about the BC.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.