optics advice

How comfortable are you shooting at 500 yards accurately? If the answer is, I'm not sure, then you may want to find what your maximum range is before settling on your rifles optical power. Your caliber choice and effective range, as ajkellerusmc states, is an even bigger factor. Another consideration before choosing a higher power optic is when the moment of truth comes breathing and heart rate can move your target POI. Maybe that's not a issue but you can always get closer to your game and max out your optic at 10X.

There are plenty of SFP scopes from quality manufacturers, like the two you mentioned and others that can fit within a $1K budget, but the lightest weight are limited to only a few. Personally I've found Leupold to be one of the lightest and the clarity of even their VX3i CDS, for around $500 is tough to beat.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

I have shot 500 yards before with different rifles. I do plan on practicing once I receive the rifle. I know practice in perfect condition doesn't apply to the field. I usually try to do some push up or burpees to elevate my heart and then take a shot. Sounds funny but it helps control breathing

As far as optics. I kinda of narrowed it down to a few
March sfp 2.5-25x42
Zeiss v4 4-16x44
Bushnell lrhsi 3-18x44

hello everyone. new guy hear.
i am having a custom rifle built, chambered in 6.5 PRC. weight of the rifle when completed, no optics, will be between 7.25-7.5lbs. this rifle will be taken with me to my first elk hunt in Oregon. my guide advised me that i should be comfortable taken a 500 yard shot.
so now to the topic of optic choices. i have looked at a variety of different options. i am leaning towards a swaro x5 but of course i need the wife approval. this is at the top of the budget if the wife says yes. but if she says so no, i need to find other options.
i dont want a heavy scope. i do want something SFP. i have considered nightforce but they are extremely heavy. i am also looking at zeiss z4 4-16x44 plex.
what else can you guys suggest? i am open to options. thank you and look forward to your responses.
Another vote for the VX5HD or VX6HD. I have 2 VX5HDs and they have performed awesome - hunting tough and had no complaints about them.

There are some X5s for 2500. I will pm where. My suggestion is go look through them and at the reticles if at all possible. Decide if you are gonna dial or go Christmas tree holdovers or both. At 500yds and less as you suggest in your op either will work with practice. My boys and I can and have many times all looked at the same target at long range thru multiple scopes at the same time low light and daylight and invariably one will choose the NF, one the Swaro and one the Zeiss or Leupold. Good news and bad is you have a lot of options. Buy the best you can afford but take these suggestions as a list and go look thru them and let your eye decide. Good glass is expensive so are kids..and good luck with the search.

Not at all... check out Randy Newberg doing burpees before shooting steel gong...https://youtu.be/tGZlr4AM4dw
I have shot 500 yards before with different rifles. I do plan on practicing once I receive the rifle. I know practice in perfect condition doesn't apply to the field. I usually try to do some push up or burpees to elevate my heart and then take a shot. Sounds funny but it helps control breathing

As far as optics. I kinda of narrowed it down to a few
March sfp 2.5-25x42
Zeiss v4 4-16x44
Bushnell lrhsi 3-18x44

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts