Opinions wanted......

Kirby, I'll second uncleB. A fast twist 222 shooting a 69gr match bullet, or 60 gr v-max, would be great varmit medicine.

20-24 grains of powder
A long neck for those long bullets
Proven accurate cartrige design
No recoil to speak of
Long barrel life
Low report

Only thing is this set-up would not meet your flat shooting requirement.

I will say after running some numbers a 6mm223 would be quite impressive for the task if you reach 3600 fps.

I was down that same road a year ago. After going over and going over everything I could find I ended up with a .223 Remington in a 700 LV. The main reason was cost savings. When I'm praire dog hunting I wanted something that would shoot very accuratly using ammo I didn't have to reload for. Sometimes I dont' have time to reload a couple thousand rounds for a 3 day shoot and the range you specified my rifle will do very well with factory ammo giving me more time to spend on my longer range rifles reloading. With Black Hills blue box it will shoot under .500 at 100 yds which was more than good enough for minute of PD at 400 yds and do it cheaply. Tuned up with a rifle like you can build it probably would do even better in the accuracy dept. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Plus if you run out of ammo on a long shoot it isn't hard to find more if its needed without going home to reload more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Well, I know nothing about running 400-500 rounds down a barrel at varmints but I would vote for either the 222 or the 223 as being a good high volume round. About 20-30 years or so ago the 222 was believed to be very accurate.

I liked old bear's suggestion of the 6T/CU but with your "cold form" requirement, this is out the window. I have one in a 15" Contender and it is SUPER accurate...taken plenty of g-hogs to 350yds w/ 70gr NBT's.

However...the 6x45 would be a super cartridge. It is tough for me to believe that a 6mm 55gr pill will "out BC" a 55gr .224" bullet...though I have not really looked into this comparison. Have you run the numbers with a 70gr bullet? I think a little less velocity may be beneficial if launching a higher BC pill...as is typically the case.

I've used a Striker 22-250 w/ 50gr VM's reliably to 400yds on groundhogs over here in the east. This rig pumps out the same performance as a .223 Remington w/ about 26" of tube. This would be plenty of medicine for PD's to 400yds.

For your itch to build something a little different then the 6x45 (6-223) would be great. Besides, after tou get that reamer, I have a nice XP-100 that's looking to get spruced up a little!

Kirby, I was out prepping some brass in the shop, so I looked up the 6/223. Hodgdon list the 60gr bullet loads at the velocity range of 3100fps out of a 24 inch barrel. 3600 might be asking alot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sounds like you are resurrecting the old Remington 224 with the 12 twist for your hankerin. Just so happens I have one, and guess what, it's got a $ on it like everything else I have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also have a couple of half growed up teenage daughters if you want to fastforward about 17 years to see what to look forward to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Keep warm up there. Later Tim

Thanks for all your posts. Most have very valid points and good recommendations on cartridges.

Reason I am going away from the 222-223 class rounds is velocity, I want more then these can offer with 50-55 gr bullet weights. I will be using one of the tipped bullets in 6mm in the 55 to 58 gr range or one of Richards Wildcat 60 gr pills.

Catshooter, I am not sure what you mean when you say your case for the 6mm-223 is very flawed.

A 223 Rem will hit 3300 fps easily with a 55 gr pill in 24" barrel with more powders then I care to list.

The 6mmx47 which is simply a 222 Rem Mag necked up to 6mm will easily push 3400 fps in a 26" barrel and one I have developed loads for with a 27" Lilja averaged 3530 fps with a 58 gr Hornady V-Max bullet.

Remember in my post I said standard 22-250 loads. Factory loads in the 22-250 will be listed at 3600 fps with a 55 gr pill. In reality most factory loads are in the 3500-3550 fps range with this bullet weight. This is what I was comparing it to, not full throttle handloads which will add a couple hundred more FPS to this level.

I have not tested the 55 gr 6mm blitzking yet but I have tested the 55 gr V-Max in the 223 and the 58 gr V-Max in the 6-47 and in those two rifles 3350 fps and 3530 fps were comfortable top end velocity averages for each chambering respectively.

Comparing those two rounds, out to 400 yards with a 250 gr zero and a 10 mph crosswind here are the numbers:

Drop at 400 yards:
223 Rem............-16.1"
6mm-47.............-14.4"

Retained velocity at 400 yards:
223 Rem............1926 fps
6mm-47.............2029 fps

Retained energy at 400 yards:
223 Rem............453 ft/lbs
6mm-47.............503 ft/lbs

Wind drift at 400 yards:
223 Rem............20.4"
6mm-47.............19.3"

Now these are not imagined numbers, these are actual loads I have tested and developed in customers rifles so I have already proven that these numbers are possible, not projections.

Again, I am not looking to invent a new wildcat. There have been so many 6mm wildcats based on the 222, 223 and 222 Rem Mag case that it would be impossible to list all of them. All are basically very similiar in performance.

The plain vanilla 223 WILL NOT fly flatter, hit faster or hit harder then the 6mm-223. Quite the opposite in fact is the truth.

Plus being a custom rifle builder I care very little about being able to buy the rifle off the rack and as an accuracy minded shooter, I could give a rip about factory ammo as well.

I know full well how large the investment in time and money there is into designing your own wildcats, have a couple of them out there. That is not what I am doing here. Again, my goals for the project are:

-Enough ballistic potential to allow consistant hits out to 400 yards.
-No case fireforming required
-Extreme case barrel life
-Very low barrel heat

In every one of these aspects the 6mm-223 would outperform the 223 Rem. In every case no question.

If that is not believable, then look at the 223 loaded with a 55 gr V-Max compared to a 6-223 loaded with a 65 gr V-Max. both will easily be able to top out in the 3350 fps range with these two bullet weights. THe 65 gr has a BC of .280 listed compared to the 22 cal 55 gr version with a BC if .255.

Again, there are examples all over that prove the 6mm-223 will outperform the 223 in every ballistic area out to 400 yards with similiar bullet weights.

Just not sure where your getting your data from, what load are you using in your 6-223?

Thanks for the response, no flame intended in my response to you but I believe your facts are not quite that!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Uncle B,

I have played with the 222 Rem alot in an old modified Rem 600 and love the round but it leaves me wanting more past 300 yards with the varmint weight bullets. I like the 40 gr Blitzking in this chambering for high volume varminting and past 300 yards with any breeze I just want more zip.

I agree, it is a hell of a round. I generally find myself going with the 221 Fireball over the 222 Rem in this role though. I just really like the Fireball and considered necking that up to 6mm but it just has a bit to small of capacity to push 400 yards.

Its been more windy then cold up here. Well, for our standards, been teens for highs in the days, -10 to -15 at night. Pretty average stuff. The kicker is when you add a 30 mph wind to these temps, hit -30 windchill factor pretty much every night.

Kirby
APS

Festus,

6mm rounds on the 6.8 and 7.62-39 would be great performing rounds no boubt but I do not see the 6.8 being around long unless the military adopts it and that is up in the air. Necking a 7.62-39 down to 6mm would basically give you a 6mm PPC. Great performance, nearly identical class as a 6-223 but brass is much more spendy and its a bastard bolt face size.

Thats the performance I am looking for though, just in an easier package.

Thanks for the reply!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Varmint Hunter,

The 22 PPC and 22 BR are great rounds, I just want longer barrel life which the 6mm-223 would offer. Plus, a 55 gr tipped bullet in 6mm really adds that pop value to critters compared to a 22 cal version. One would not think this would be much of a difference but the added frontal area pops small critters much harder.

Good post and good recommendations.

Kirby Allen(50)

Old Bear,

Now we are thinking alike!!! That was actually one of my first choices but the fireforming thing ruled that out. The 6-223 and the 6 TCU are identical in performance so I would rather not have to fireform my cases but that is a great recommendation, looked at it more then once I assure you.

Thanks,

Kirby Allen(50)

Lerch,

I really like the 22-250 as well and also its fatter brother the 22-250 AI but both will heat a barrel up to fast in a serious dog town.

The BR is a great round, no question from me there. I have about 2500 virgin Win 223 cases, thats another motivation for the 6-223 over the 6 BR.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.