Opinions requested on custom rifle

I agree that the stock is the problem. I don't know what discussion went on between RedRider and his gunsmith while defining the job. I have gotten wood semi-inlets with incorrect action screw placements and fixed some, not others since wood can be removed easily, but not replace (if it shows on the outside). For what little I know about this transaction, the gunsmith did a poor job that tarnishes the rest of us that care about the product we turn out. But then, life is often not fair.

Good points sully2! It's much easier to start with a piece of wood and shape it to match the metal you are working with than to try and work a stock to metal like we're talking about here. I really have no idea what the costs are nowadays for doing a perfect job like I would want with the gun in the pictures. Thankfully, I have enough great shooters in the safes that I'll never have to worry about it either!

From guns I see and read / hence see pics of...what the OP recieved is a typical $2500-2800 rifle. For $4000 the "fit; form and function" should be PERFECT. If one wants "decorations" ( movable cheekpiece, etc, etc, etc along with minor engraving) the costs zips right up to $10,000

I think this was said but the compatibility of that bottom metal to that stock is the issue. The only fix for the side profile would be building up the stock with epoxy and working it down to fit the bottom metal better. That BM looks wider than typical remy floorplate which 95% of after market stocks are designed for. The rear action screw area suffers from the plight of the stock radius and a flat profile on the bottom metal. I wouldn't expect a smith to weld up aluminum and re-profile a piece of bottom metal, and squaring off the radius in the grip would have looked really sick. This issue would have warranted a follow up call for guidance on continuing on with that bottom metal.

When 20 manf. make 20 different parts and a customer chooses xyz, sometimes compatibility doesn't work out real well. This is where the experience and guidance of the smith needs to be taken into account so that he can lead you to sound decisions on components.

I am sometimes disappointed with the inlet jobs on some high end fiberglass stocks, to include the sanding marks on some gel colored units. I try and dress them up with as little effort as possible, and not pass on additional cost to the consumer. Due to some molded in finishes this can often times be difficult at best.
This is why communication from the start needs to be very direct, if you looking for 100% hair seem joints and flawless fit and finish relay this to your smith so he can plan accordingly, and price his product for the time involved.

I have a couple thoughts.

The only way something like that would leave my shop is, the customer chose the components and declined to pay me to make them work. If I chose the components, I would make them look right, on my dime.

The only way to achieve flawless fit and finish is to custom fit, fill, and finish the stock and metal work. This adds a lot of cost to the build. Most customs use pre -finished stocks, the fit is typically "good" (much better then you've shown), but not seamless.

The pic of the TG w/ floor plate is Williams, the other is PT&G. To me,, the difference is obvious. The stock is a factory Rem. 700 VLS.

Attachments

• trigger guards 007.jpg
    trigger guards 007.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 68
  • trigger guards 008.jpg
    trigger guards 008.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 55
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.