Opinions on Nosler Solid base

fireroad

Anybody use to use, or still use, Nosler solid bases? These were discontinued and replaced with the balistic tp, and have been brought back for a limited time. Nosler's site has no info. From what I understand they are a SP with a thicker jacket then the BTs. I keep coming across some closeouts on 100gr 243 cal and they are really cheap. What are folks experience's with them, good or bad?

I use to use the Solid Base Noslers and when the Ballistic Tips came out and they discontinued the Solid Base it made me mad. The Ballistic Tips that they first came out with were to explosive. They changed the Ballistic Tips a time or two since they came out with it. They now react like the old Solid Base bullets used to react on thin skin game like deer. The only Ballistic Tip that I really liked when they first came out with them was the 70 gr in .243 . I had been using the 75 gr Solid Base in a 243 Win to shoot ground hogs. When I went to the 70 gr BT the rifle just got more accurate and those things acted like a bomb when they hit a ground hog. It would turn one inside out.

Thanks for the input. I haven't been impressed with the ballistic tip (too thin of a jacket), but then again I don't shoot ground hogs. If the desert wasn't so brushy out here the 55 or 70 gr BTips would probably make jack rabbits explode too!

I was really upset when they were taken off the market. I have never been satisfied with the BT. 140 & 160 in .284 were the ticket to instant harvest.

I used to use the 25 cal 120 gr Solid Bases in my 25-06.
took a few elk, some mulies & many whitetail with that bullet.
I haven't found anything since that I like better. Too bad they don't make them anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.