Opinions of fixed power IOR scopes

jmm03

Hello all, trying to make an informed decision about purchasing a 16 power scope. Pro's and con's would be a great help. I am not set in stone about an IOR,but I am as to a fixed power. Thanks. Jim

I think it could be a great scope depending on the application. I'm a huge fan of ior optics. Just so we understand: how Do you intend to use the scope? Why are you set on a fixed power scope?

Hi CBS, benchrest, silhoeuette,and ground squirrels up to 600. I am not set in stone on a fixed power,although I tend to prefer them due to less mechanism to go wrong and the fact that once i'm using the higher magnification I tend to stay there.I do see the benefit of a variable as to field of view and in mirage however. Thanks, Jim

i really like my IORs but...... i have the 3-18 model and the eye relief on it was too short so it had to get switched onto an AR; the distance between the erector and the eye piece was too short to mount far enough back to get behind comfortably. i've done a lot of research on IORs and i've never heard of anyone else having that problem so i'm not sure if that problem will be applicable to the 16x.

personally i like the glass in my IOR better than my NF or Zeiss Conquest. my objective is small on the 3-18 at 42mm compared to the 56mm on my NF and 50 on my zeiss so it doesn't look quite as bright. but the resolution is better IMO. one day i was shooting the rifle that had the conquest on it and the mirage got so bad at 100 yds that i got frustrated and decided to pack it up. i did a quick check to see what the mirage looked like in the IOR and it was almost impercievable. i was really surprised at the difference in the two scopes. i wish i had my NF along that day to see how it would have compared in the same conditions.

the downside to the IOR is the wieght. i own the 3-18 (35mm tube) and a 4-14 (30mm tube) and they are heavier than comparable scopes made by other manufactures.

not sure if my response is what you're looking for but i'd say the IOR is a great choice. the fixed 16x isn't what i would choose but it sounds like it would work for your application.

Jim,
I have a 10x IOR and love it. The field of view is great as well as the eye relief and the glass is superb. I shoot long range and dial alot and have not had to re-zero since I mounted it(3 years and 2500+ rounds of 6.5-284). I see no reason why the 16x would be any different.
Shag

CBS and Shaggey,thanks to you both for sharing your thoughts.I am really searching for a clear optic that won't break the bank.Unfortunately those qualities don't always go hand in hand.I have another rifle,(my first precision rifle built from scratch,blueprinted etc.)that has a 30 year old Redfield 6400, dot reticle, that is remarkably clear.I don't remember paying much for it but works very well on everything up to 600 yards,so I see no real good reason to change it. On my other rifle I have the 24X weaver,it works ok in bright sun but the other day at a 100 yard match in overcast conditions I just couldn't adjust well enough to bring in the X's.
(I thought it was my eyes until i had a buddy of mine who has very good sight shoot the rifle and he had the same problem) The only IOR that i've been able to look through was an older 4X,I thought at that time it was a nice piece of glass but the guy whose rifle it was couldn't wait to change it. Thanks again for the help. Jim

I've used a pair of 16x IORs for years on everything from the 17HMR to the 50BMG. One is currently on the 338Edge and the other one goes between the 8twist 22-250 and the 6-284 bench guns, Both of these units have off centered bases and need the extra travel the 16x offers.
Although not my favorite scope they have proven themselves very reliable over the years and have enough travel to get out a long ways....the one on the 50BMG was used to put the fear of god into a few pririe dogs right @ 2200 yards.
The two I have have a yellow ting in the glass that tends to gray everything out a little but other than that they have been great scopes.
I would not use them on a calling rifle even though they have a very large field of view for 16x.....½ again to twice more than most veribles.
Sightron also makes a 16 and 20x fixed scope that might be worth a look and they have 150MOA of travel if I remember right

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.