Opinions/Advice please. I have 2 rifles and 2 scopes, how should they be paired?

Hi All. This is my first post here. I have read through probably a 1,000 threads on rifles and scopes and have gotten a mind boggling amount of information, some already known but most of it new - so thank you for all of that. My questions relates somewhat to that info in that I have 2 rifles and 2 scopes of differing degrees of quality and I would like to know how you think these should be paired.

The 2 rifles that i'm referring to here are:
1: Savage 111 in 30-06, pre accutrigger, basic rifle. cheap synthetic stock, 4.5lb trigger pull on stock trigger, very crisp but a touch heavy.

2: Weatherby Vanguard 2 in .308. Extremely crisp trigger at exactly 3lb, nice stock (Still synthetic, but much more rigid and solid feeling) - this is currently sporting the $30 bushnell walmart scope that it came with and it's too nice of a gun for that cheap an optic. Even with that though it's a tack driver at 100 yds from a bench!

The 2 Scopes are:
1: Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 - Currently mounted on the Savage. Decent scope, nothing remarkable but i've shot deer out to 300 yards in very low light with it.

2: Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 - Currently unmounted. Have not used it on a rifle yet, but have other Zeiss scopes that I love. I picked this thing up locally for an unbelievable price. I actually paid more for that Nikon buck master when I bought that new.

Anyway my thought is to leave the Nikon on the Savage (Budget Scope w/ budget rifle) and put the Zeiss on the Weatherby. For most of what i'm doing the 6.5-20 magnification is overkill for me with the 308 (i'm in SC so hunting will be typically 300 yards or less, and I have a 500yd range to plink on).

I will be doing some work to the savage - i'm going to put in a new trigger and a nice walnut stock. I expect when that's done it should compare nicely to the weatherby. Right now it shoots about 1.5-2' groups, vs the weatherby with sub-MOA groups. Can anybody see any reason to do the opposite and put the Zeiss on the 30-06?

I'd vote to put the Zeiss on the Weatherby. No sense taking the scope off the Savage if its doing what you need. Only reason to change would be if you need 4.5 low-end on the .308 for hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.