Open Sights

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by ericstokes250, Jul 23, 2007.

1. ericstokes250

ericstokes250 Member

I'm think about trying them out, i like the fact you can shoot at all kinds of different angles. I never gave this tool a chance so any advice or any product suggestion would be great? Thanks Hunters

2. AndrewD2007

AndrewD2007 Member

I would think open sight are really for more close angle shoots, also for guns that you couldn't really mount a scope on. I think it might be great if you wanna test it. Let me know how it goes.

3. britz

britz Well-Known Member

If you plan on trying open sights for longer range hunting, you almost need to have a good peep sight installed on your rifle. The military uses peep sights on their weapons and they can shoot reaonably well to 500 meters. I definatley reccomend using optics for shots past 300.

4. Hero_compleqs

Hero_compleqs Member

I qualified at 500 yds in the corps. You couldn't see the target. You aimed at the center of the white six-foot square target backer.

Tiny aperture peep sights are a must. I would consider anything over two-hundered yds unethical with a peep. Less with open-sights.

5. AlexBaldwin07

AlexBaldwin07 Active Member

6. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

I think it would be a great challenge to try to break 1K with some open sights. It would rank right up there with a 100 yard bow kill.

Probably you would need something like this http://www.phoenixprec.com/index.php

The highpower guys know a lot about this kind of stuff.

About 72 MOA of adjustment just like a long range scope.

I wish my eyes were still good enough because I might give you a run for your money. Sounds like a lot of fun to me.

7. ericstokes250

ericstokes250 Member

Thanks - Really helped me out - I love OpticsBestbuy layout its so easy to navigate through