Oops!!

quigley257

Another example of why you always need to be vigilant when handling multiple cartridges during the same range session. This is the result of firing a 7-08 Remington in a rifle chambered for 270 WSM. Luckily no injuries. The blast primarily exited through the bolt, vent holes and magazine/bottom metal. The 7-08 case was sufficiently small to allow the games to pass around the case head and prevent a higher pressure explosion. The magazine, stock and bottom metal are destroyed but the bolt and receiver are good to go. When we milled the chamber open the white tip of the Accubond was still in the bullet. It fell out as the cut got deeper. The stock is fractured and swelled, as is the bottom metal. The barrel screwed out with minimum effort, indicating no swelling in the barrel area. The customer didn't send pictures but I assume the magazine was completely destroyed based on the condition of the stock and bottom metal.
Stay frosty out there!
20231018_144325.jpg
20231018_144257.jpg
20231020_124937.jpg
20231020_124958.jpg
20231020_125050.jpg

Saw the exact same incident happen to a customer of mine two years ago. 7mm-08 through a 270Wsm. Blew the stock into four separate pieces. Bullet exited the barrel though. Also broke a bolt lug. This rifle likely could have been put back into service as far as the barreled action but the customer elected not too.
The same year another guy accidentally shot a 308 cartridge out of a 270 win. Broke a bolt lug and extractor but the rest of the gun was salvaged. The brass had flowed into every available crevice. It took a weeks soak in penetrating oil and a mallet to open the bolt. The projectile somehow managed to exit the barrel. This rifle, a Browning A Bolt Medallion, was fitted with a new bolt and put back Into service after a thorough inspection by Browning.
2 months ago a guy brought me a Browning BAR 270 to service and zero. When he dropped it off the chamber was empty. But the mag had 4 bullets in it. The top two were 270. The bottom 2 were 30-06.

Last edited: