Online source for custom/hand loaded ammo?

DerekFSU

I've searched for over an hour but have come up mostly short on ID'ing places to purchase high quality hand loads. Looks like Superior and Southwest are strong, though I'd like a few more options if anyone has an opinion.

Shooting a Barrett 98B .338 Lapua and a Noveske AR10. While I'm waiting on a non-tactical custom hunting rifle to be built, this is where I'm at. I'm not going to reload but do want the advantages of them. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am not sure what you mean by custom?

For the reloads to truely be custom they have to be built for your guns. That means they need your guns to work the loads up. They need to set aside a set of dies for your guns with all the details etc. You are talking a lot of time which means a lot of money.

For that, you are going to pay out the nose!

I would look at using standard Black Hills reloaded ammo and living with the "not custom for my gun" or learn to reload.

Thanks Bounty and appreciate the patience with a newbie to the sport. I meant hand loads as opposed to commercial/off the shelf. I don't mind spending some extra $ to not reload as I don't have the time or patience for it. Thanks again.

BH is right. What you're looking for is 'premium' ammo and not the average/cheap Walmart stuff.

Most manufacturers have a 'premium' line of ammo. Hornady (custom and superformance), Federal (gold medal match), and Black Hills are options that come to mind.

I would try some Black Hills loaded stuff first. I think you will find it is lot cheaper but very very accurate in most guns.

If that does not work to your satisfaction, then go the custom loaded route.

Get a hold of Ricky at Ultimate Ammunition. He worked up custom loads for my .300 WSM (175 gr Berger VLD) and .375 H&H (300 gr North Fork). He's great at what he does and a good guy. check his web site, you'll see pics of some of his trophies.

Wby

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.