One VS Many

I still think the best all-around cartridge is the .280 AI..... Light contour 26" 1:9 twist high-quality barrel (Douglas, Rock Creek, Broughton, Brux, etc...), trued and blueprinted 700 LA w/ standard bolt, and a good HS stock with everything bedded & floated, NF 5.5-22x56 MOAR, w/ your choice of rings & bases, and you'd have a packable lightweight 1,000 yard shooter for hunting or target shooting. You could have a badass setup for under $4,000 with high-quality optics!

That's a basic run-down of my custom build, but I'm going with a Sendero contour barrel. Probably Rock Creek 5R 26" 1:9 twist. Might do same specs on a Douglas 5-groove XX-Match stainless barrel.

Been very impressed with a pair of 6.5X284's I am playing with. But strongly considering a 284 again or a 280AI for a one gun rig for long range. Whitetail is the biggest game I have to plan for.

Been very impressed with a pair of 6.5X284's I am playing with. But strongly considering a 284 again or a 280AI for a one gun rig for long range. Whitetail is the biggest game I have to plan for.
Same here. If I shoot anything bigger than whitetail, I'm dusting off the old Sendero SF 7mmSTW, and taking it with me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.