one rifle for everything

You should be put in the stocks and publically flogged like an oaf for blasphemy!!! Just to suggest and Idea is so vile and so revolting it makes me Sick!!

Heresy at best, possibly an Obama troll!gun):D

A .300 Winchester Magnum straight up. Although the 7mm/300's are calling to me lately.

Mcmillan Lazerroni Thumbhole, quality barrel of one kind or another, threaded for a suppressor where legal, an Assassin break for hunting where folks aren't enlightened regarding sound suppression.

You didn't say one scope, so I'd have a passel of optics to set the rifle up differently for brown bear or rodents.

I have thought about it many times but I dont think I could ever do it. For my it would be probably either my tikka t3 ss in 338 win or my 375 rum.. both are big enough to kill anything in wyoming and most any other place. and overkill isnt a real thing so why not? I would really miss my 25-06 though its one of those rifles that when its in my hands...sh!ts gonna die

I have thought about it many times but I dont think I could ever do it. For my it would be probably either my tikka t3 ss in 338 win or my 375 rum.. both are big enough to kill anything in wyoming and most any other place. and overkill isnt a real thing so why not? I would really miss my 25-06 though its one of those rifles that when its in my hands...sh!ts gonna die
it's like golf clubs man... no rifle is best at all things. It sure is fun to torch varmints with a 375 h@h though!!!:D:D:D:D Who says 300 grain bullets aren't good for sub 1# critters??? If you've got the accuracy, flaunt it!!!

Do any of you guys ever get the urge to sell everything, and just use one rifle for all your hunting and shooting? Or maybe one varmint rifle and one hunting rifle?

If so, what would it be?

Thoughts on the theory?

Been really thinking about it for the last few years and have said many times over.

"My 300 win is all I ever need" With the 215 Berger it just gets it done.

But I still have to scratch my ELR itch and need a 338 for that. So for now I will own a few. I have learned many times in my life there is much to be said for owning one rifle and knowing it well. Same goes for many things, Dogs, Horses and Trucks, etc. The one that gets used the most, gets used most for a reason. And will out shine the others.lightbulb

Jeff

Re: one rifle for everything's

ThInk it's a great idea. For me it would be a 7mm Rem Mag. If I were never going to Hun outside California it would be a .260/7-08/.308. I personally only have my 7mm Rem Mag and a .308. Had a .270 that I converted to the 7mm since thee is very little seperation between what a .270 and a .308 will do. Set the .308 as a light handy pck around pig and deer gun and the 7mm is a more dedicated long range take anything I'll ever hunt gun.

Do any of you guys ever get the urge to sell everything, and just use one rifle for all your hunting and shooting? Or maybe one varmint rifle and one hunting rifle?

Sell my rifles and convert them into to US Dollars? What sense does that make? I want my investments to have intrinsic value. It's ok if YOU want to sell your rifles. I'll buy more if they aren't rusted junk.

I'd only sell some of my rifles when I get too feeble to shoot and unable to stay alive by working or spending my savings. In the heaven I believe in I'll take my firearms with me. It wouldn't be heaven without them.

If so, what would it be?

This comes to mind on what one truly needs!:D

Well I'm gonna to go then! And I don't need any of this. I don't need this stuff, and I don't need *you*. I don't need anything. Except this.
And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray... And this paddle game. - The ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need... And this remote control. - The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need... And these matches. - The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball... And this lamp. - The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The paddle game and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.
The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair.
And I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
I don't need my dog.

Not to throw a nade in the room, but "if" I only had one gun it would be a 22 mag. I could hunt anything in NC as long as it was close. My 280 is a little tough on the small critters for meat, AR's are popular for a reason, they are dual purpose for hunting/defense. If I lived west, brown bears would play into my decision. I see black bears almost daily and they provide to many opportunities to need much more gun.

Not to throw a nade in the room, but "if" I only had one gun it would be a 22 mag. I could hunt anything in NC as long as it was close. My 280 is a little tough on the small critters for meat, AR's are popular for a reason, they are dual purpose for hunting/defense. If I lived west, brown bears would play into my decision. I see black bears almost daily and they provide to many opportunities to need much more gun.
I'm missing an edit button. The AR would be my second choice and bears around here are not aggressive and if you were in a one gun situation a lighter choice would suffice.

In 1952 I purchased a Winchester Mdl 70 270. Started reloading ammo for it in 1953 using 100 and 130 grain bullets. I lived out in the country and used the rifle to shoot prairie dogs , other unwonted critters, pronghorn, mule deer, and elk. I still have that 270 rifle. In 1956 I got a 222 Rem and got a 308 Norma Mag in 1965 . I found using one rifle for everything was not for me. For sometime I used the 222 for varmints, the 270 for pronghorn ,mule deer, and the 308 N M for elk. Later I found out that I liked to try different brands of firearms chambered for various cartridges and still do.

I think the area one spends the most time in also dictates the rifle. Here in the mountains of NC we are hunting up close ( less than 50 yards) and personal with animals milling through an area. Drop off the fill and your mainly in fields where something with range is needed. Further West or North and you dealing with animals like (moose, elk, or big bear) and heavier bullets are required. My 280 will do most of it, but I like changing up on a regular basis.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts