One Rifle Concept/Project

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by FlatheadChicken, Nov 26, 2012.

1. FlatheadChicken

FlatheadChicken Member

Good Morning,

I am going to start a project based on the philosophy of "just one" rifle for hunting and ELR target shooting. I have been shooting the 7mm RM for hunting and the 6.5CM for long range target for a couple of years and would like to get down to just one rifle for everything. I am currently leaning toward the 300WM because one can buy quality ammo off the shelf just about anywhere, and when time permits, reload for a vast number of bullet weights. I want to build off a Savage or Remington, and then install that into a chassis system. Upgrades will come as time and budget permits. Current budget will need to stay at $2,000.00 or less for rifle and chassis. What say you?

2. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

How far do you plan to shoot targets and hunt? What kind of game?

3. FlatheadChicken

FlatheadChicken Member

I have access up to 2000 yards for targets. I hunt Antelope, Deer, and of course Elk. I will not shoot game more than 400 yards away.

4. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

I would stick with your 7mm Rem and run the 195 grain berger eol for targets at 2k and a bullet of your choice for hunting. You can upgrade your 7mm rem as money allows.