one of my MK kills last season

Nice Elk!
wink.gif
Kinda dark in your part of the country too I see.

[ 01-26-2004: Message edited by: Dave King ]

yup-6.5-284-142g smk-230 yd. shot right behind the shoulder.he piled up after about 20 steps.thx-dave

6brguy

How did that 142 look (if you recovered it) and what about the exit wound? I get mixed results with the 142 SMK on critters. I've taken to shooting the critter lengthwise if I'm using the 142 SMK outta my 6.5x284...that kills'em.

i only found the jacket[weighed about 30grs.] in the hide on the far side,it looked like the heart and lungs had just exploded.i took a decent size cow elk at about the same distance,i spined her on the first shot on purpose and had full penetration[i didnt want her to go over the ridge [it would have been rough packing her out],the second [killing] shot went in the front of the chest[quartering slightly] and came out the shoulder penetrating a couple feet of elk.for deer i think its a great bullet[they die easy anyways]but for elk the verdict is still not in,i would have to say results were mixed too,i too would like to hear more about how the 142mk performed for other people.my-2-dave

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.