One Load for Hunting, Another for Target Shooting?

kimberyote

I am loading for 2, 338 Lapua mags. I was wondering if you would recommend just using one load that is the most accurate in each one, or the one that is the most accurate 'hunting' bullet for hunting long range? The remington likes the 300 SMK and the 250 Nosler Accubond. The Nosler is more accurate than the SMK. The SMK has a larger BC.
I would assume the the SMK would be better for long range shooting in the wind at steel or paper.
The other is a Savage. It too likes the Nosler 250 Accubond. I ran out of the tactical 300 Bergers. I will be reloading the Berger 300 elite hunter. The BC of the Berger is 8ish. Very awesome. I hope the same load works for the new style.
I will be ordering custom Mark 4 turrets for each one. I would think I could fudge the difference with a ballistics app to make one turret work for 2 different bullet loads.
I did this and it worked with a 7mag shooting 168 & 140 berbers. Difference was 25 yards @ 600 yards.
Thanks in advance!

Two different opposing schools of thought on this subject. I use whatever is most accurate in each individual rifle unless it is cost prohibitive. I do not even test bullets that I am not willing to use for practice from that rifle. The 300 SMK or 300 berger are both effective "hunting" bullets. If I had tested and concluded the nosler 250 was (((significantly))) more accurate in one of my guns, I would bite the bullet and stock up on them for practice and hunting in that rifle. I want the most of each individual rifle. You could probably get away with the fudging numbers at close range but it will complicate things at extended ranges and partially defeat the purpose of custom turrets. My opinion and your milage could vary.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.