One Foot at a Time

ADMIN

Administrator
My most miserable backcountry hunts haven't been caused by bad weather or heavy packs; nope, they almost all involved blisters on my feet. Sounds like a little thing just talking about it and it's kind of uncomfortable when you get one on a day hike, but on a backpack hunt in elk country, it can change the entire hunt. Unlike other types of hunts where there may be other means to get from one place to the next, on a backpack hunt there is only hiking, and a blister will remind you it's there every step you take. Finding time on a backpack hunt to rest a blister and let it heal isn't an option either (that could take days!), so the best medicine is obviously to prevent them in the first place. So, I'm going to share two things in this article - 1) some tips on prevention; and 2) how to care for your feet if you still end up with a blister.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, One Foot at a Time, By Nate Simmons. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good article,still suprises me how many people get blisters regularly. With good fitted boots you should hardly ever get blisters.
Just a few of my tips to add to yours. best thing ever for no blisters is TWO pairs of socks. on long trips these days I nearly always wear two pairs of socks. one thinner pair then a thicker pair over the top. And I only ever use wool socks. Wool is by far the best next to skin fabric. all synthetic fibers stink and get sweaty after time, nothing is as good as wool.
First thing I do when I get new boots is just wear them around the house for a few days, you look like a bit of a dickhead but it helps you get used to the feel and shape of them before you test them out on tough terrian.
One way to wear in boots(bit drastic) is go on a good river bed walk where you will get wet feet. water softens up the boots and makes them form to the shape of your feet faster.
And also keep your leather boots well oiled/greased. Get a good beeswax oil/grease like snow seal and use it all the time. never use leather boots that arnt waxed or oiled.
Hope this helps guys

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.