one finally fell.

screech

Ok, some of you might remember that I had been shooting coyotes with 50gr.bt out of a 22-250 and wasn't having much luck. I switched over to a 7mm stw shooting some 162gr. amax. I had better luck but the toughness of a yote just flatly amazes me. I'll give you the story but I didn't get pics, explained in story.

Ok, today I did the normal routine of wake up get ready and start my 45min drive to school. On the way to school I saw three yotes but they were either in places I cant hunt or to far. After school I went to work were I had nothing to do cause of machine problems. Well I decided I would go to the river and see if I can catch a Steel Head. I headed to the river wich is more like a stream. 10-20 yards wide. Well I fished a hole didn't catch anything so I packed up and headed down river. I arrived at another promising hole and turned off the car. While I was sitting there next to the car riggining up my pole it occured to me that a little bush acrost the river was moving. It took me probablly 2minutes before I figured out that the bush was getting blown by an absence of air. I then inspected closer and it finally occured to me that a coyote was in that bush looking for food I asume. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I reach inside the car and grab the stw. All this time the yote is either clueless I am there or dosen't care. I get into a shooting position on the river bank to make the 30yard shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The coyote eventually decides that I am close enough and steps out and gives me a broadside shot. I wish all coyotes were this dumb. I squeeze the trigger and send an amax across the river. It smacks the yote right behing the shoulder and slams him against the boulder backstop. He jumps up and starts the mad dash to get away. I am just amazed from looking at the once white boulder back stop of the coyote. as he runs away. The boulder is completely bright red and he is running away with what looked to be hide floping in the wind from the bullet tearing it from its carcass. this yote makes it what looked like fifty yards before giving up. Man, If that had been a whitetail it wouldn't have even twitched from the shot. It would have been just bang flop. I didn't feel like swimming the stream/river thing so no pics, sorry. I was just excited that I shot a coyote that went to the ground within eyesight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Why is it all the close ones are when you have the big guns?I once shot one with my STW w a 140 B-tip at 25 yrds right in the face!It wasn't one for pictures either.

remingtonman_25_06
No joke, I haven't even heard of yotes this tough untill now. If someone was to of told me that they shot a yote with a 50gr. bt out of a 22-250 and they told me it ran away I would have called bs on it. Then I move up hear and these things seem to be running on some heavy drugs of some sort. If I could figure out what it was I could corner the market. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif you will have to head over yonder and see for your self some day.

Yah I cant really believe the 50g NBT out of 22-250 doens't do more to them. I"ve shot quitea few with 40g vmax out of .222's and never had them run off like that?? It would be fun to get up there one of these days and try calling a couple in or something. Maybe one of these days. Untill then, keep up the good work!!

Rem 06,
Dang man!! Didn't you learn anything over on that other forum?
Ya gotta shoot them 17's up close and personal in order to kill them "dogs". You all are obviously way over gunned and have no appreciation for the finer qualities of the prey you're after! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif LOL

dude, after pounding them up close and personal with a 22-250 and they still run away and you never find them. You will get made and be wanting a full blown fully atomatic 50bmg with explosive bullets by the end of the day. Then you will go home cool off and grab a more reasonable rifle and try again. At least I did and they still run some. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.