? on ES / SD

So you shot 2 groups sub-MOA..

piutemike,
You should take your loads that shot well at 100 and take to the longer ranges and see what kind of 'Standard Deviation' you get 'out there' on paper.
This all that really matters!

I wonder who this was directed at?
At the whole conversation. Your intuitive observations are correct. SD can be used as the basis for determining what is suspicious data. The progression from that point should be to parse the data, and then to investigate what is discarded. You're backing into SPC. It's the analytical technique that hasn't been refined.

At the whole conversation. Your intuitive observations are correct. SD can be used as the basis for determining what is suspicious data. The progression from that point should be to parse the data, and then to investigate what is discarded. You're backing into SPC. It's the analytical technique that hasn't been refined.

I see.
I read something about the SPC being unrefined or not thoroughly "worked out". It went way past what we need to know for reloading purposes but it was interesting.

All I know is that if we use a chronograph to get our loads right and it says the SD is in the single digits on multiple occasions and produces good accuracy, it will usually stack hits on top of each other at distance. This is about as "real world" as it gets and there are no formulas to substitute or equal common sense. If a guy wants to use ES as his correlation in lieu of SD, then that is his prerogative and it will most likely still produce good results.

So... does anybody here muck around calculating confidence intervals for their mean (average) velocities for comparing the sample mean to the population mean? :rolleyes:

Sorry, just finishing up a Stat 201 class. Being a bit of a type 'A' sort to begin with, and moderately proficient w/ Excel to boot... the class opened up a whole bunch of doors for wasting time analyzing data :D

Something to keep in mind... even if you have a small E.S. or 'range' of velocities for the shots fired - the E.S. of all the shots fired from your gun (or at least something like 99.7% of them) will likely be described by your average +/- 3x your stdev value. So if you have a E.S. of 10, most people would be happy, and ignore say, the SD of 4 or 5. Guess what. 5 x 6 = 30, and if you fire enough shots, (30 or more), you'll likely find thats more what your 'actual' ES is - 25-30fps - if you're lucky. In my experience, most of us start making excuses (bad batch of primers, chrono on the blink, wrong phase of the moon, etc.) once our velocities start straying from that tight little bundle of joy we started with. The truth can be ugly sometimes, but ignoring it won't make it go away ;)

Just wanted to know how to figure SD. I did not know if there was a simple way of doing that.

Ok, but like offered, it's worthless information with such small samples.

A simple example
Suppose we wished to find the standard deviation of the set of the numbers 4 and 8.
Step 1: find the arithmetic mean (or average) of 4 and 8,
(4 + 8) / 2 = 6. Step 2: find the deviation of each number from the mean,
4 − 6 = − 2 8 − 6 = 2. Step 3: square each of the deviations (amplifying larger deviations and making negative values positive),
( − 2)2 = 4
22 = 4. Step 4: sum the obtained squares (as a first step to obtaining an average),
4 + 4 = 8. Step 5: divide the sum by the number of values, which here is 2 (giving an average),
8 / 2 = 4. Step 6: take the non-negative square root of the quotient (converting squared units back to regular units),
822211f970bcb7379117b2ffc151320c.png
So, the standard deviation of the set is 2.

Any ES below 20 and I don't worry

about it, as any variations or a missjudgement of the wind will make far more damage to the accuracy than the 20fps. ever will.

Peter

about it, as any variations or a missjudgement of the wind will make far more damage to the accuracy than the 20fps. ever will.

Peter

True.............to a point. Past that point, the variations need to be eliminated and the basics need to be on your side before you can even judge the conditions apart from the mechanics.

Here is my $.02 on the Ten shot string.

First, and most importantly the 3050 fps was very fortunate! Had this shot not been recorded, it would still be in your cartridge case and may have been used at long range;

Second, you can't fix a problem that you do not know exists. I bet the first automobile did not have brakes.....the first lawyer on the scene made a bundle on that error :)

Using just ES the load may be junk, SD & ES makes the whole reloading procedure more consistent assuming you figure out that the neck was tight and you look for that problem in the future.

Lastly, you will never ever know that you have removed all problems until you have fired every round that you will ever shoot. You may figure out the tight neck problem, but then thinned brass will show up, then worn throat, etc..... All you can do is ensure that once you identify a problem you put procedures in place to prevent you from any recurrences.

edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.