? on costom rifles HELP

think it is good

Votes: 15 53.6%

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters

cva54

light bulb got a rerm 721 30.06 aready did trigger,scope 3-9x40 ballistc plx ret. and bipod. Looking at bell carlson medalits weatherby style stock looks like a mark v. (Still sighting in ran out of rounds and hands got 2 cold to load live in MN at 60 yards putting hole on top of hole dead on)Going to be hunting with it I want to be able to hit a gal. milk jug at 600 y. so if the barrel can do it (old rifle,I can) thats it Iam done.If not what do Uall think about going to 308 can it be done what would be my trade offs or buy that new marlin XL7 ps yes iam using prem. fartory ammo

Shooting at 60 yards doesn't really tell you much, but, I see in one of your other posts that the gun shoots 2" groups at 100 yards. If that's the case then theoretically that translates into 12" groups at 600 yards. You're not going to get a very high percentage of hits on a milk jug at 600 yards shooting 12" groups at that range.;)

If you don't reload and if you have to stick with factory rounds then you might look at having the action trued and then re-barrel it in 308 as you can get some great factory loads in 308. What are you going to be hunting with it, where are you going to be hunting and what kind of ranges for the shots?

You could weigh the cost of the rebuild vs. a new gun and see which way you want to go. With the semi-custom rebuild you are pretty much guaranteed good accuracy if you go with a top smith. If you go with a factory gun you never know for sure how it's going to shoot and you could end up spending lots of money on the factory gun to make it shoot like you want. The choice is up to you and your pocketbook.;)

re

yes i got to get back and find out waht it does at a100y what about the stock i use ahlmans in MN

sorry about above posts going to be hunting deer in MN most shots with rifle 200 to 600y under 200 and down mod. 94 or 50cal with 265gr bullet 100 gr powder

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.