Older Savage Accuracy Expectation?

boattailed bandit

I have a possible deal goin on with a gentleman for a savage 111 in 300 win mag, however it is a non acutrigger model which ahould mean it is the older model. Savage rifles are known for their out of the box accuracy, what about the older pre-accutrigger models? Is there anything i should know about them along the lines of staying away from them?

Get the serial number and find out the year it was produced. If it's a 60's, -80's era rifle I wouldn't touch it for anything.

They had serious problems from the sixties through the eighties with quality because the company was bought and sold many times and went through one or two bankruptcies as well.

Savage Arms

Are you going to use it for just the action or shoot it like it is?I've built a few off the ones in those years that wouldn't group at all in factory form and squared the receiver and nut an a new barrel.They then were 1/2 moa or better rifles.

I have a possible deal goin on with a gentleman for a savage 111 in 300 win mag, however it is a non acutrigger model which ahould mean it is the older model. Savage rifles are known for their out of the box accuracy, what about the older pre-accutrigger models? Is there anything i should know about them along the lines of staying away from them?

ill have to check the serial number on mine but mine is a non-accutrigger older model. It shot fine in stock form and after I put a new barrel on it. Also, I was able to get the stock trigger down to 3lbs with ZERO issues off misfiring. Maybe I got lucky. I have only tested one brand factory rounds with the new barrel (remington corelokts) but 40 total shots (5 shot groups) all have been under 1 MOA if not better. Cant wait to try some reloads.

Get the serial number and find out the year it was produced. If it's a 60's, -80's era rifle I wouldn't touch it for anything.

They had serious problems from the sixties through the eighties with quality because the company was bought and sold many times and went through one or two bankruptcies as well.

Savage Arms

What were the quality issue they had? As in accuracy problems or potential bodily harm issues? Now you have me worried with the semi custom I just made haha

ill have to check the serial number on mine but mine is a non-accutrigger older model. It shot fine in stock form and after I put a new barrel on it. Also, I was able to get the stock trigger down to 3lbs with ZERO issues off misfiring. Maybe I got lucky. I have only tested one brand factory rounds with the new barrel (remington corelokts) but 40 total shots (5 shot groups) all have been under 1 MOA if not better. Cant wait to try some reloads.

What were the quality issue they had? As in accuracy problems or potential bodily harm issues? Now you have me worried with the semi custom I just made haha
I know of no safety issues, just crappy, slipshod, sloppy work and rifles you couldn't hit a barn door with unless you were swinging it like a bat.

I have a savage 110 L, 243 bolt on the south side. I purchased it new , in about 1960. I have a vx2 leopold on it 3-9 x50. It has been my open country rifle for deer, coyotes , critters . I reload all my ammo, to suit my game It has been a very accurate rifle, not minute of angle. but probably that is partly my fault. It does usually bring me home venison most years. I have had no problems with it.

I just gave my grand daughter a new savage ,7mm08, she is also left handed. Ammo is hard to get off the shelf at a reasonable price . So I got dies , bullets etc and did up some reloads. It has the accutrigger, I was quite impressed by the accuracy, with hunting loads. looking forward to some lighter bullets, and working up a load, for targeting, varmits etc.

Next week is our local deer hunt , Hope to get her out and get , her first deer, I would be a very proud poppa.

This is my first post on this site, quite impressive. Old 243

I have a savage 110 L, 243 bolt on the south side. I purchased it new , in about 1960. I have a vx2 leopold on it 3-9 x50. It has been my open country rifle for deer, coyotes , critters . I reload all my ammo, to suit my game It has been a very accurate rifle, not minute of angle. but probably that is partly my fault. It does usually bring me home venison most years. I have had no problems with it.

I just gave my grand daughter a new savage ,7mm08, she is also left handed. Ammo is hard to get off the shelf at a reasonable price . So I got dies , bullets etc and did up some reloads. It has the accutrigger, I was quite impressed by the accuracy, with hunting loads. looking forward to some lighter bullets, and working up a load, for targeting, varmits etc.

Next week is our local deer hunt , Hope to get her out and get , her first deer, I would be a very proud poppa.

This is my first post on this site, quite impressive. Old 243
Both of those rifles were produced outside of the era where Savage had serious problems. I'm not the least bit surprised they both are performing well for you.

The Savages produced since around 1992 in particular have a well earned reputation for being good shooters.

I know of no safety issues, just crappy, slipshod, sloppy work and rifles you couldn't hit a barn door with unless you were swinging it like a bat.

hmm...well maybe I got lucky with the donor action I am using as it has been really accurate so far with the criterion barrel I put on it.... or did you mean in their stock form they were really bad?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.