Older Redfield 6-18 with AO

Magnumwill

One of my friends offered to sell me an older Redfield 6-18x scope with the adjustable objective front lense and 4 plex reticle for $100.00. He took it off of an older varmint rifle he picked up at a gun show. Looking through it the lenses dont seem to be really clear with inside light (a little yellowed) but outside it is not too bad. The crosshair adjustments dont click but move pretty smooth and the cross hairs seem to track ok.

Will this be a good pickup for $100?

I'll let you know. Got one coming in the mail to me in about a week. Traded a bunch of bullets I was never going to use for it. It's got ring marks on it, but I just can't afford another Leupold right now.

Should work great on the 223. :)

Bought one new 25 or 30 years ago, still have it. It has two heavy stadia wires intended for use in judging an animal's distance. I had it on a 22-250 for a long time. Never did like it. I remember sending it back to Redfield for something at least once. Of course, Redfield of Denver went bankrupt, so they are no longer gonna fix it. Custom scope repairs can be expensive.

The truth is that optics technology has improved greatly in the last several years, and these old scopes will never compare to the newest ones, even the cheapos. Save your $$$ and buy a Leupold, Swarovski, or Zeiss.

I sold one a few years ago for $200 with the rangefinding stadia. It was 30 years old. The coating and/or the glue had oxidized and it had a lot of whiteness to the image or perhaps I had ruined the lenses with improper cleaning (who knows). As far as mechanicals , it was a great scope BUT, the vertical adjustment was only 30 or 40 inches. The tube is fairly soft aluminum and easy to get ring marks on it.

With the age of my eyes and the age of the scope it was no longer a very good low light scope for distances beyond 300 yards. In our prime we were both good for way beyond that distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.