Old Simmons Scope http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/images/icons/icon5.gif

I was recently given a Simmons 8-32x44 rifle scope. It is a Model number 800116. This was made in Japan. The scope is a number of years old (?). I understand Simmons are now made in China. No idea of the age of this scope. It is new in box (NIB), never mounted. Can anyone tell me if it is a fair, good, great, etc scope? Trying to find out before I invest in rings, bases, etc for a new rifle. Any info you can provide will be appreciated. If it is best used as a boat anchor, break it to me gently, but break it to me.
icon5.gif

Thanks,

john

Hi, Simmons made/makes some decent scopes about like a Leupold VX I. They also made/make some real trash.
Best way to evaluate it, is to set it on a bench next to scopes that you respect. Look for clarity, color rendition, edge fringing. You really have to mount it and "shoot the square" and see if POI varies with power changes. Would I take a Simmons on an expensive hunt? No way! But if it works, it's certainly okay for a plinker or hunting in good conditions.
They were and are, an entry level scope and will never equal a $600 scope, not to mention the multi thou ones.
The rifle in my Signature (below) cost $700, the scope $2200. I'm a believer in good rifles and great scopes.
Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.