Old pictures if anyone's interested

ss7mm

Old pictures if anyone\'s interested

I don't know how many of you might be interested in old pictures relating to hunting but if you are, then here's some I finally got scanned in. Sorry about the quality, but back then we didn't even know what digital was.

For those of you that still have your dad with you, count your blessings as mine's been gone for quite a long time. Spend all the time you can with him, because some day he won't be around any more. It's usually about this time of the year, just before, and during, hunting season, that I start missing him and it seems the worst at this time every year.

This is a picture of a little bull my day took a loooong time back. That's dad in the middle behind his big 6 point and that's my uncle on the left, dad's right side, with the smaller bull he took. They simply had some free time, took the old farm truck and went hunting. Dad wasn't a trophy hunter and only shot the big bull because it was the first one he had a decent shot at. He'd have been just as happy with a cow or spike.
Dadselkcentered-one-cropped.jpg

This is a black and white phote of the same guys and bulls. The fella on the right, dad's left, was a friend of the family.
B-WGlossyofdadselkintruck-cropped.jpg

This is a picture of yours truly with dad's elk from the above photos. I wonder why I like to hunt elk so much??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seems like I got an early start. This is an old old photo that's laminated and it's in my wallet every day of my life.
Mewithdadsbullelk.jpg

This is me in hunting camp at 22 years of age. Still have the same hair cut today as back then.
1966huntingpicofme.jpg

This was my first loading/work bench back when I was 18 years old.
Firstbench1963.jpg

This is a shot of my first lathe I had at 19 years old. Sure wish I still had it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Firstlathe1963.jpg

This is a little 6.5x55 that I'd sporterized and the buck I shot with it at 16 years old. Again, sure wish I still had that gun.
1960buckwith6-5x55.jpg

If any of you have any old pictures I sure like to see them. Like I said, this time of the year seems to make things like this seem a little more important. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's kinda neat to look back at the old stuff and compare it to the current ways and rack the old brain remembering what it used to be like. After hunting season the old thought process will kinda get back to normal, but then again about next September, the old man and his big bull will creep back into my thoughts and it'll be time to go hunting again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Re: Old pictures if anyone\'s interested

ss7mm, Great old pictures. Thats quite an immpressive bull your dad shot. Whats the rifle next to it in the picture?
I'm going to make a guess and say you must be about 57 years old. Am I close?

SS7mm,

Great pics, thanks for sharing some very personal pics from your past. I have many of these pics as well with my dad and me and I feel the same way about my dad.

He is still here and I am still dragging him out hunting. This season is the first year in 14 seasons that he got drawn for a pronghorn permit. He has never shot a pronghorn before in his 45 years of hunting. THis will be special.

The only part I am not familiar with is the part about not having your dad with you. That will be very hard to learn how to handle when the time comes. When it happens maybe we can chew the fat about old stories. Will not be a good day.

Rest assured your dads with you on every hunting trip you have been on!!!

Thanks for sharing again.

Looks to me like that old rifle leaning agains that rack is an old Win lever action. Is it an old 1895 in 30-06 or was it older then the '06??

Kirby Allen(50)

Coyboy:

That is a pretty nice bull. Considering the first 3 points, and the mass, the fourths are a little weak but overall it's a pretty good rack. The head was mounted but since dad wasn't really a head hunter, the head ended up someplace else. I looked but could not trace it down. It had been too many years. I'd give anything to have that head hanging in my house alonge side of my 6 point bull. It would only be fitting, if they were hanging together, that dad's bull was bigger.

As near as I've ever known, the rifle is an old 1895 in 30-06. Close on the age, but a little low. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby:

Unfortulately that sad day will come and I can tell you from experience that there's no way you can be prepared ahead of time for when it happens.

As near as I know that rifle is an old 95 in 30-06. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I sure wish it had stayed in the family. If there's ever a time machine invented, during my lifetime, I'll go find that old gun and pay whatever price it takes to put it in my safe.

Tell you dad good luck with his upcoming pronghorn hunt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice pictures and sentiment my Dad didn't enjoy Elk or Deer hunting but loved wing shooting I feel a certain emptyness each opening day of Dove season but have many fond memories of time spent afield you never really appreciate how precious that relationship is until it is over... To anyone lucky enough to still enjoy your Father cherish them and let them know how much you love them...

SS7mm,

Thanks for sharing. I have a ton of old pic's like that stashed away in several shoe boxes here. Our family all hunted in the fall and fished in the spring and summer after the work was done. Both of my sisters and I have had our time in the woods with our parents.

I honestly agree with your sentiment as well, it is a hard slap in the face when they are no longer with us. My pop took lots of time out to haul my snotty nosed self out to the woods or the pond or just somewhere to get out and away from it all. I really appreciate all of this at my age now. Mom's still around but now doesn't get out tothe woods to hunt. She does however still love for the season to come around and enjoys our telling of the days hunts.

At the time of my life when I was just getting to a point I could start to repay ol pop, he left this world for a better one. Like you, every fall brings up a swell of emotions. I now have the daughter and grandson, who will hopefully continue this tradition long after I am out of here. I know that they will feel the same way as we do when the time comes.

Thanks again, the memories do live forever.

ss7mm,

I understand what you are saying which is one of the reasons Dad's old REM 721 '06 is being turned into a 270AM. It was kind of an emotional decison and will ensure that it will never leave the family.

It was that rifle that when dad went to work, I missed the school bus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif and got my first white tail buck, a 9 point. I think i was 15 or 16 at the time.

You and I must be in about the same age group.

ss7mm, It that old jar of peanut butter in your camp picture I was trying to date you with. I can vaguely remember mom making sandwitches from that old metal lid jar, when I was a wee tot.

ss7mm, Thanks for sharing your pictures and some of your memories. I just lost my Dad the 5th. of this month. I dont have any pictures of us hunting, but I do of us fishing, since fishing was his forte. I owe my love of all things out of doors entirely to him. I remember us squirrel hunting back in W VA. and he was showing me how to scare a squirrel out of a nest by pulling and shaking a grape vine that the nest was built around. We hunted with .22 rifles since he didn't feel like shotguns were "sportin'". Well, I was resting the muzzle of my gun on the toe of my boot when all of a sudden, BANG, it went off. It scared us both, but luckily my boot was a little long, the barrel was in front of my little toe, and it missed everything fleshy and put a neat hole through the boot. Well after a well deserved dressing down, he and I filled the hole and disguised it the best we could and he cautioned me not to say a word to Mother or neither one of us would get to hunt again. We reminiscied and laughed about that last month when I was visiting him. What I will miss the most is calling him after a hunting trip and reliving the hunt with him over the phone. How he loved to hear about my trips, and how I loved to tell him. Thanks again. God Bless

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.