Old fart from So. Cal.

NoMoreOldNo7

Actually its not the years, its the mileage.

Great site here, I stumbled across it yesterday and already have spend hours reading some fantastic articles. I love to hunt, got a couple sweet shooting Remington model 700s that my local gunsmith has worked his magic on. He has contracts with many (68 to be exact) police departments building sniper rifles and I was lucky enough to get to know him before he quite taking on public work. I have the 7RM that I got for Christmas when I was 15 and 15 years ago bought another 700 in .300 Win Mag. Both sport Leupold scopes and I hand load for all of my rifles. I also have a sporterized 03-A3 in 30-06 that my father built in the 50s which I am about to get started working up a new load for. What brought me here to this site was research into using Berger VLD bullets for hunting (hence the hours of reading already). I am also working on a trade right now for a new scope (well actually its used, but new to me). I am trading a little cash plus a S&W model 66, stainless, .357, 6" for a Leupold 6.5X20X40 LR. Hope it comes through, its going straight on my 7RM if it does.

Spend the fall running the hills of the west for mulies and elk. Took a nice pronghorn here in California in '09, had a blast and can't wait to chase them speed goats again. This year, that is if the tag gods see fit, I'll be hunting mulies here in a pretty good zone in California, pronghorn in Utah, and bull elk in New Mexico. If the draws don't come through then its either an archery only tag for mulies here in Ca or a general archery elk & deer in Utah or an OTC elk ag in Colorado.

Once big game season is done you can find me out in the marsh. Keep it quiet but we got some pretty good waterfowl hunting out west here, but you got to do your homework.

This season is something special, I am a lucky man to be alive. Last year about this time I was diagnosed with stage 4 tongue and neck cancer. Treatment damned near killed me twice, but even a man like me can seek God and he must have plans for me. Last Thanksgiving I didn't think I would see the new year and with events well beyond my planning I made the biggest turnaround I have known. I even managed to get out in the duck blind 4 times in January. This year nothing will stop me from being in the woods doing what I love to do. It doesn't matter if I am hunting the worse archery OTC tag here in Calif or the best elk country New Mexico has to offer, I will be enjoying life like never before.

If you stumble across a black Ford F-250, license placte IBOHUNT or a Nash 5th wheel license plate HUNTCMP, stop and say Hi and share some hunting stories, I always got time for a good hunting story.

Glad to have found this site, take care.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.