Oklahoma Blow Out 2006 Shoot!!

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I am posting this in the hunting forum because it was supposed to be a hunting style shoot.

Well today was the first annual Oklahoma Blow Out 2006 Shoot. Me, Bill Bailey (BJ), DistantFoe (Matt) and a buddy named Adam met up at 3:00am to head out for the shoot. We joined up with Rick Reeves of the Alex County rifle competition and some other local shooters and headed out on our journey. First off I am not a real morning person so 3am was not on my things to do list!! Needless to say I was a little ****y!!!

We headed out west for the 2hour ride. After entertaining the boys with some stories of my past law encounters we arrived at the shoot, the stories made the ride go quicker! The morning was around 65deg with a decent north wind and my skinny *** was in a t-shirt so I was cold and ****y, things werent looking good!

After a brief range meeting us 50 shooters headed out in two seperate groups to our respective ranges. Originally it was rumored that David Tubbs and Terry Cross were supposed to compete but instead they sent some of thier shooting team partners instead.

Me, BJ, Rick, Adam, and several other buddies ended up on the north range first and we quickly set up after the over 1/4 mile walk with all of our equipment to the range. So for the record I am now cold, ****y, and tired!!! We were all issued numbers that the range master would call out to tell us when to shoot. All of us buddies were in a line and after ranging all of the steel gongs we settled in to commence firing.

I was more than a little nervous but I was looking to impress since me and Adam, who was shooting BJ's 300RUM, had the largest smoke poles there. Our first gong was a little over 500yds with a 8mph north wind. I went temporarily stupid and got my windage adjustment backwards, nerves got to me. We were scored on the number of shots it took to hit the gong in 60sec's with a max of 3 shots. All of my shots landed off the left edge of the gong but because of the speed of that bad boy allen mag I was missing spotting my own shots, we could not recieve help from eachother.

I regained my sanity and managed to hit the next 5 gongs on first shot hits. BJ missed all shots on his second gong due to a ranging issue, he went on to hit all of the gongs of the 15 on first shot hits on that range. The farthest gong was 910yds and the closest was 405yds. The AM did some serious damage to that steel and that was all I was really wanting to do, make some big holes!!!!!

We cleaned rifles and headed to the second range. this range offered closer gongs but they were only 6" in diameter. The first was 340yds, first shot hits from all of the local boys!! The second was slightly hidden in a plum thicket at 210yds. Adam nailed this on his first shot with the 300RUm and sent the gong flying!!! The rangemaster was a little annoyed and called range clear and headed down to re set the gong. I tried to tell him that I was next and I was definantly gonna flip that sucker but he didnt listen. After setting it back up he told me to shot and BAMMM, gong on the ground. This prompted the range master to call the target dead and no one recieved scores for it, again I was ****ed.

We went on to shot various gongs out to 550yds with all first shot hits for our group and BJ was on a 18 first shot hit streak with his 6mm-250 APS. Then he hit a slight hitch and missed a couple of 3 shot groups on 2 gongs. BJ recovered and got back to shooting good and our streak continued except for a ranging issue that caused all of us to drop some points.

Next came the long shot, a single small black gong at 950yds. The range master told us that the previous group had only had one person hit the gong on his last shot. The sh!t talking began and we all professed we would hit it on the first shot. BJ shot 3 rounds and danced within inches of the gong, Adam followed with similar results. Next was me and my first shot landed just off the right side. I aimed at the left edge and the shot missed the right side by a inch or so. Last chance and i aimed about 3" off the left side. the trigger broke and the fed primer got the party started, BAMMMM and the 270AM claimed the long gong. I was more than satisfied and since we had been shooting in rain for about 3hrs I decided to head back to the truck.

Results came back and me and several other shooters were in a shoot off for position. I was up against a buddy of mine named Jason Sloan shooting a 22-243. I was expecting another gong shoot but instead it was a benchrest style competition at 205yds with only one shot. I shot first and I was more than a little out of my game since the drop chart I have inside my butler creek scope cap starts at 300yds and I dont care for that particular style of competition. Jason beat me, he is a **** good shot, and I dropped position.

The award ceremony began and I we found out that BJ and his little 6-250 APS had claimed 4th place!!!! The top three shooters were two of Tubbs team and one local shooter that I really dont know much about but that he is a helluva shot!! I secured 8th place, Rick got 6th, Matt got 14th, and Adam got 17th!! All together great shooting IMOP from the local boys.

Most importantly I was amazed at the accuracy and consistancy the 270AM produced with 800rnds down the pipe at long range!!! Also the speed that the bullet gets to target and retained energy turned many heads with several guys claiming that I was shooting a 270-408chey tac!!! I explained to a few guys what I was using but everyone headed out quick since we were all soaking wet in the now 6hr on and off rain.

All in all it was a fun but VERY long day, I am at 18hrs awake right now so sorry if the story seems rushed or incoherrant!!! We all shot good and the APS guns we on the money. Congrats to BJ, he did a hell of a job and aggravated several of us with his inability to miss at times!! Sorry for no pics but my wife would kick my *** if I had her camera out in the rain.

OH, by the way Kirby, the big 270 blew clean holes straight through several gongs and there are several new Okie's wondering what hell a Allen Mag is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to all the shooters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

First it's too hot, now your to cold, wha wha wha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And what is this so called "rain" you speak of???? It's so dry around here, I tried to spit yesterday and just managed a puff of dust. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sounds like you all had a good time of it, and all did some good shooting, despite the adverse conditions.

Your gonna have learn to use those 5 bars above the main crosshair for those close in shots. With my load zeroed at 500, it's two and a half marks above the main bar, dead on at 200. Anything closer, well you just slap it on the head with tha barrel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

What Mike/Tx said in his first sentence WHA WHA WHA
What a wuss! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I told ya you'd do better than you tho't you would......

I appreciated you windage brain fart. I have a major problem with that. That's why I mil-dot hold over/under and click only for wind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

But as the ol' eyes go south, I'll spend more $ on a better scope, then go to clicking.

I'm thinking that if shot at animals only, and first shot hits only, that barrel should be good for maybe 1202 rounds....

Good shootin guys,

I was in your squad and was definatly impressed with all of you guys. Also glad to see another Savage on line kickin butt.
I missed the first one too and slowly regained composure with some second round hits mixed in with a couple of 1st rounders.
Most of my misses were due to poor wind calls instead of ranging. And then my elevation knob spun loose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
and i had too guess the rest of the match how high it actually was. I got first round hits on the first 6 on the east range so I thought i may have my zero back in order but then at the longer ranges 650+ the misses showed up again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
At the end during the shoot off I found out I was high 2".
Oh well, another disappointing finish. Congrats to all who showed up and did well.
1st place Brand Cole
2nd place Eddie Abraham (both are usually in the winners circle anywhere they go)
3rd ??? Some good shootin Cowboy who looked like he just got done fixin fence and pushin cattle.
4th BJ ?
5th Wade Stuteville
Don't know the rest but the top 10-25 must have finished real close due to all the shoot-offs.

Hell of a prize table over $10,000 dollars woth of stuff and the top 25 all got something.
Great Bar-B-Que too.
Special thanks to Jerry Newman for putting this together.

I aint whining about the cold, i just wanted a coat. I would have loved to have been out there in my carhart, would've kept my elbows off of God's country also.

Its about 70deg today and I hear some dove calling, hunting season has arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Man I sure would like to compete in one of these shoots one day but I'm not to sure I could handle those fridged temps although it did get down to 70 the other night but heated back up.

when you guys get these shoots together how are they advertised? and is their any entrance fees or what?
if their is any prize money do you split it with your smith?

now that I'm gonna be getting a true target class gun built I just may have to make a few trips to see you fellas compete.

How many rounds do you expect to get through that Allen mah before its accuracy goes south and what are the plans for it then?

We had a few guys from louisiana come to the shoot, i aint sure of their names though. The shoot was advetised in a few papers and by word of mouth. I will advertise the next shoot on the forum here for anybody who is interested.

There was right at $10,000 dollars in prizes and cash but I only won a $100, enough for gas, entry, and a cold beer when i got home. No money to split with Kirby but then again he gets a good percentage of my annual income anyway!!!

I am figuring a little over 1000rnds in my Allen Mag before she goes south. I have really treated the gun badly and pretty much used it like a varmint rifle. If you really used the gun like it is designed for then I think 1500-2000rnds may even be possible. I think I may be able to get to 1200rnds but after the first of the year i am gonna have Kirby re do the gun into a 10lb rig so we may never know.

take it easy
steve

Congrats Lerch, what was your recipe in the 270AM. I just got mine from Kirby last week and done a barrel break-in and some fireforming this weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Tim

I am shooting 101grs of US869, Fed GM215M primer, 169.5ULD loaded about .003 in the lands around 80rnds ago so it may be a little out of the lands now. This is a very hot load so I would recommend something less. I have never choronoed this load so that I would not be tempted to depend on a computer generated drop chart. I figured drops at 300, 600, 650, 800, 935, and 975yds and then plugged that into exbal and used the velocity adjusting feature to get the rest of the drops. I did this because our temps have been varying from 108deg to 65deg and I belive all powders will be temp sensitive in that crap!!!

Like i said this is a very hot load and I would think something around 3200-3300 fps would be ideal since it would give you longer case life. I am not worried about these casings since Kirby is gonna re do my rifle in a light weight gun and I am gonna use nosler brass loaded around 3300fps. My current load is around 3500fps as guessed by Exbal. A deer will never know the difference between the loads but it is nice to only need 15moa for a direct hit at 1000yds!!!!

Have fun with your gun and dont treat her like a varmint rifle like it did. She will give you years of great preformance

take it easy
steve

Sure was fun!!! I'm still kicking myself around a bit. I dropped 9 points because of carelessness or range issues. The way some of the targets were placed (on purpose, I'm sure) it was next to impossible to get a range on them. You either hit the ground infront or the ground behind.
If I had just 6 of those 9 points back I would have won the thing based on my calculations by the number of rounds I fired and the # of points that the winner had.

I would have really enjoyed beating those two Tubb rifle totin', Leica Vector havin' Texans w/my lowly ol' Savage!!! Oh well, I guess that's why we actually shoot and not just hand out prizes.

I'm thinking next time, my trusty Wilde is going along for the trip. They can make it tough on a laser, but they can't do anyting to trick the optical rf!!!

Oh, I almost forgot to get the mandatory APS plug in. Thanks for building me a SUPER accurate rifle Kirby!!!! I honestly think I would have beat the pants of those guys if I would have had their rf!!! I would trade my Savage for one of their Tubb rifles if I had to shoot it!!! Of course if I could sell it and use the money to have you build me 5 good rifles, I might just have to!!

BJ,
What's the ballistics like on that 6mm-250, tell me more about why you like that round. Very interested.

I know you and BJ was going to shoot the US869. I remember BJ was a little dissappointed in it and was going to go back to ole reliable. During my fire forming loads I shot mostly 92.5gr. of 869 getting 3207-3250 at 15k off the lands. Don't know why I was getting such a velocity swing unless it had something to do with the Rem. brass being harder or softer from case to case. Maybe putting the bullet on the lands is the ticket in this smoke pole.

My 300rum is just the opposite, the more jump better she shoots. The 185vld at 3400fps with 175k jump really leaves it's presence behind on the 500yd steel gong.

Now since I have a 100 fire formed rounds down the 270AM, I will get serious about cutting some groups. My goal is to shoot a ragged hole at 300 and 1-1.5 at 500yds with the 169's and 195's. I know Kirby done his part now it's up to me to do mine.

Later Tim

[ QUOTE ]
BJ,
What's the ballistics like on that 6mm-250, tell me more about why you like that round. Very interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting right @ 3000 fps w/the 105 Berger in front of 37 gr of H4350. I can spot every shot w/this gun, regardless of range. It really helped me to be able to see my impact on the steel. This gave me a very good idea of how good I was doping the wind. It also helped me on one miss. I saw I was high and right, so I just held the same distance off the left corner and nailed it on my second shot. It also takes quite a few rounds to heat up the bbl.

I got this gun back from Kirby in early April and I already have about 750 rounds down the tube and it seems shoot better everytime I take it out. I've got alot of confidence in it and attribute that to being able to shoot it ALOT and not worry about burning out the bbl.

I think I have some pics coming from the man who put on the shoot so maybe you all will get to see something after all.

I was trying to remember some more of the people who were in the top 10 and I forgot to mention Preston Pritchett of Surgeon Actions got I think 4th place. Congrats Preston!!!!

There were a ton of his actions used in the shoot as well, pretty good advertising I would say.

I recieved a call from Mr. Newman, the gentleman in charge of the shoot, and he was curious as to what we all thought about it. I told him how much fun it was and the very few things I would change, most of them he was already thinking about. He commented to me that when he was taking down the gong targets he noticed several of them had pinky finger sized holes in them!! HMMMMMMMMMMMMM, wonder who did that?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

See Kirby here you are getting me in trouble!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

take it easy
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.