OK What Type of Hearing Protection do you Use

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by plshilo, May 5, 2013.

1. plshilo

plshilo Member

I know it was a big title and should be a simple answer, but it is not for me. We (wife & I) both use electronic ear muff's. We also got purchased Surefire EP5's to try.
    So my question is what is everyone using to shoot high powered guns or are you using both types??
    We find it hard to shoot rifels with the ear muff's, so that is why we are going to try the Surefire....
    Anyway, any Help would be Great.......

Phil

2. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

I discovered the Soundgear electronic ear plugs and Use them all the time now. As recently as this morning.

I now sell them in The LRH Store.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

3. plshilo

plshilo Member

Hey Len,
    They look great, but just to much to buy for both of us.....

4. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Phil, yes, they are "spendy" but I wish I had "spent" on them before I got tinnitus a few years ago on a coyote hunt. Now when I notice the permanent ringing in my ears they don't seem "spendy" at all.
    ============================

5. me124704

me124704 Well-Known Member

Agree with ear muffs getting in the way...that's why I use disposable foam earplugs.

6. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

What?! :D

Due to a decade or so in the Welding/fabrication industry (& some poor PPE choices) I have tinnitus as well. I can barely tolerate rimfire cartridges w/o having it screw with my ears. I can't stand muffs, they are constantly in the way. I used to do the foam plugs but kept losing the dern things or they'd get covered in crud from taking them in & out.

I'm using the new SureFire plugs now & like them quite a bit.

t

7. plshilo

plshilo Member

I Agree with everyone on the form and others. My only issue is the Cost because there is both wife and I who shoot. So that is why I haven't just jumped on the electronic ones....

Phil

8. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

I Understand your point. The only skepticism I have is the lack of first hand experience (on my behalf). I can afford the electronic ear pro but I've never been around nor ever used it. Call me a pessimist but I'm affraid of spending +$400 on ear pro (or any equipment) that I don't like.

t

9. Hunter2678

Hunter2678 Well-Known Member

Howard leight's Impact Sports here. 22 Dec of NR. Low profile work well for me.

10. plshilo

plshilo Member

This is the same as we use, along with form for high power. We just purchased some Surefire EP5s to try and they seem to work Real well for 22's that we shot today. We are going to shoot our AR's tomorrow and will let you guy's know more then.

Phil

11. codyjoe1128

codyjoe1128 Well-Known Member

I use winchester dual ear plugs...solid one one side, filtered on the other, ive got two sets( one set in semi) the filtered side communication is a non issue, and no batteries!

As far as tinnitus..Lipo-Flavenoid...youll think it isnt workin till you quit takin it but it works....

12. plshilo

plshilo Member

OK, here is my answer about the Surefire EP5's, we used them yesterday with our AR 's they seem to work Very well. We were at our local range and others there along with a black powder, mini 14 and other AR. The wife said she needed her muffs after some of others started but the Surefire did work. So I think for now that is what I plan to use......