Ok, I've abused Mr. Wes long enough.

NesikaChad

I received a new floor metal from PTG a couple weeks ago. Dave's been busy and the CAD files hadn't arrived yet, so this morning I figured Wes and I had waited long enough.

Get out the calipers and radius gauges and get to work Chad!

So, here's what we got:

Some computer doodles.

DSC_0124.jpg

Some more computer doodles.

DSC_0125.jpg

A bit of code so we can chat with the machine.

DSC_0126.jpg

First and second trial run in my sacrificial 2X8 as I start playing with the geometry/numbers to get things the way I want them. (exhibition grade 2X8 of course:D)

DSC_0122.jpg

And the final run. Lookin perrty good I think. No gaps. I'll save this one for a 1:1 wood fit. Wes's stock will get pushed out about .015" so that there's room for the paint. Don't want stuff chipping during disassembly.

Third time's a charm right?!!

DSC_0128.jpg

Oky doke, now I'm ready to chew on his stock some more.

Almost there Wes!

Chad,

I can inlet for rem 700 bottom metal.........it only takes about 4 hours and bunch of bit changes and a lot of hair pulling. I really wish that I had cnc and knew how to program it. I know nothing about cnc but do know that the stuff you are turning out is impressive as hell to me.

Thanks Ed.

Having lived that pain before (early, early, early days at Nesika) I know what you mean.

It is a buyer's market these days for a CNC. Even a Sharps Mill converted to a SW industries control is worth it.

The programming on those units is pretty straight forward. You can do it right at the control with the conversational package they offer. Then as time/money allows you can move into interfacing it with a PC and software. That's when stuff gets REALLY intersting and cool.

I do all this work with 3 tools. A 1/2 rougher to helical bore the pillars to depth, a 1/4" L/H flute, R/H cut EM for finish contour and a long winded 2 flute 1/4" EM for the pocket where the mag box goes.

Took an hour of computer work, an hour of fiddling, and the cycle time is about 6 minutes.

I'll make the money on the next one that rolls through here now that I have the basic geometry and code. From here it's just a matter of fiddling with tool offsets to get the desired fit.

Not hard to do.

Thanks again.

Chad

Wes,

We have a rifle. . .almost

Crowning now. I'm out of medium 1" decel's so I'll have to wait for Brownells. They'll be here probably by Wed.

Really close now bud!

C

Chad, you make it look easy and as you know I usually wind up asking some elementary questions...so that's what I know about CNC's, programming them, design heck machining at all but, I know enough about stuff in general to know although it looks easy...it isn't. Your talent and intellect in this area is awesome to say the least. The fruits of which are artwork. I get excited everytime I see you post cause I now my eyes are going to get a treat. Thanks for posting.

Chad
If this has been abuse you can whip me, beat me ,and make me write bad checks! The final product will be anticlimactic based on all the excitement of seeing the progress through these constant updates. Like I said my wife asks me why I don't stare at her the way I do the photos you send.
Thanks
Wes

Now for the icing on the cake.

SOLD!

The 700hp money pit 04 GTO is GONE! Loved that car, but it was time to part ways. She just drove off.

And I got a nice fat wallet! Toothless hookers and corndogs on me. (not!)

Gnite.

DSC_0046-1.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Chad I can see why you sold it!! I wouldn't own anything I couldn't keep a rifle next to me either. That trunk looks a little small to bring home your deer in.

Brent

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.