OK, I think I almost figured out what I want, couple more ????

yeah now I just have to figure out how to afford one so I can have a carry wieght rifle for elk hunting

take it easy
steve

Just to stir the pot a little, I have a 338RUM that I bought specifically for elk (and maybe other big stuff if I ever get to). Since this gun was bought for elk, I went with the 338 since there are heavier hunting bullets available in 338 caliber than 30 cal. I know some guys are using SMK's and other match bullets with success, but I want to stick with a bullet designed for large game. Like a few of the posts, I wanted a rifle light enough to carry around the mountains if neccessary. I don't plan on shooting past 500-600 yds, so the .550 BC bullets that I shoot have amply flat trajectory. If I ever hunted dangerous game, the 275 gr A Frame would be hard to beat. Incidentally, I shot a whitetail button buck with it in December and he was mighty impressed with the 225 gr AB. This gun is ported, and the recoil is similar to a .270 with no muzzle jump.
I'm NOT slamming people who use match bullets for hunting as obviously they shoot lots of game with good success. It's just not for me. Just another perspective for you. Good luck!

I am stuck....can't decide between the 300 or 338 RUM, keep going back and forth.

it's my understanding that the .338 boltface would work for a 300/338RUM, but the 300 boltface would not..?

so eventually when I rebarrel, I would like to go with the 300/338RUM(or 338/300, what ever order it is??), so that makes me lean toward the 338, but I would like to shoot the .30 cal bullets cause i already load for a friend that has a 30-378weatherby, so i have a lot of .30 cal i could try out. I know thats a lame reason, but the less bullets laying around the better.

so crap.....which stinking gun???? ahahh thanks for the post anyway..good stuff

[ QUOTE ]
would the 200gr bullets be alright in the 1-9" twist?

[/ QUOTE ]
Most should be just fine. The only potential problems would be decreased accuracy with poorly built/unbalanced bullets or possibly ones with really, really, thin jackets coming apart in the air. I'll let you all know how they do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
[ QUOTE ]
are there certain contours that are better than others....I like flutes,

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going with a #5 fluted. It's all a compromise between weight and stiffnes. Dan only flutes down to #5 in 30 Cal...so in order to get any lighter I would have had to go down to a #3--which is getting pretty skinny. I definately would have gone bigger in .338 cal. And the only reason not to go bigger in 30 cal comes down to how much you want to carry.
[ QUOTE ]
it's my understanding that the .338 boltface would work for a 300/338RUM, but the 300 boltface would not..?

[/ QUOTE ]
The boltfaces are all the same so you could change to whatever you want when you rebarrel. If considering the .338-300 RUM as the choice in .338 caliber, you could even use the same brass for either after the change.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts