ok i need everybody's eyes and hands for optics info. lookin toget a new one.

archer786

Hey everybody. So I finally built my 7mag a few months ago.. Off a rem. 700 action. Shoots better than I thought it would. With federal premium 150 ballistic tips at 100 yds the group can be covered with the butt of a 30-06 casin. Last time I shot it was at 500yds and I got a 3in group with a 10mph crosswind. Needless to say I was happy to find that out. But now its time to put glass on it. Right now it was a 6x pine ridge from cabelas that I've had for several years. Works great and is a good scope but things look pretty small at 500 plus yds so its time to upgrade.

I'm a college student so I don't have $1200 to drop on a leupold mark 4, wish I could but I'm on a budget. I want to limit myself to about $400 or so. I believe a person don't need to spend 2 grand to get a decent scope.
I've been online and lookin around. The ones that have peaked my interest are the konus M30 and the leatherwood hi-lux tactical. They read good and look good but there's a slight problem. I haven't seen one in person. Been to the local shops and what not lookin for one but haven't found one to look at yet. And I have a problem spendin money on somethin like that that I haven't had in hand to look at before. Which is where the great members of LRH come in. So if anyone out there has had them in hand or used them I'd appreciate the info. Or if anybody has some ideas on other scopes in the price range feel free to enlighten me. Thanks -Caleb

I saw a Burris Fullfield II 6.5X20 on ebay for $319 buy now the other day. I have several of the 4.5X14X50 with balistic plex and really like them for a middle of the road optic. I'm not sure of the adjustment range though, I generaly do not shoot out past 500 yds.

+1 on the vortex viper 6.5-20X44. From everything I've read it's a great scope, way above others in it's price range. I'd take a hard look at one.

I haven't thought about vortex. Looks like a possibility tho.. I've also been lookin at the swfa super sniper fixed 10x.
Only time I get to shoot out past 500 is when I'm at a buddys place who has a 1500yd range behind his house cut thru the woods. And out here in the cow pastures I can get anywhere from 400- 600 out of some provided there's no cattle in the wrong place.

Thanks for the input fellas.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.