ok guys I need your help... I'm failing with my 25-06. A BOOK!

joshua99ta

First off I have shot factory ammo through the rifle, remington 100 gr core lokts(cheapest I could find) to do some sighting in with the rifle before I started trying to dial in my hand loads. They shoot pretty decent(compared to what im getting with the hand loads), I can put 10 in a tennis ball(didnt measure).

BUT I cannot get any of my hand loads to even touch an 8inch target @ 100 yards, other than the occasional flyer.... and most of the rounds were hitting low to begin with so I dialed up about 16-20 clicks and got it a little better but still not where it should be. I DONT have a chronograph as of now but I will be picking one up for sure... IF I can find one today I will be buiying it.

I've prepped the cases as per RCBS specs, all trimmed to 2.484", and im using RCBS comp. dies.
the loads are
Nosler brass
Remington 9.5 primers
IMR 4350 powder @ 49 grains.
Nosler 100gr E-tips

The tag that comes in the box says they shoot best .030"-.090" off the lands.... the lands on this rifle are @ 3.240"

I've loaded em to 3.235, 3.225, 3.215, 3.210, 3.205, 3.200, 3.195, 3.190, and 3.185.... and none of these rounds are shooting worth a FLIP.

I did my base testing w/ them @ 3.182(a fellow member recommended to try this length) and I went from 47.5gr all the way to 52grs in .5gr increments and never did get it to shoot decent but 49grs seemed to give me the best 2 out of 3 group, and I'de still have a flyer out of the 3... and when I say flyer I mean 4-5"

I was PRAYING it was me... so thats why I bought the core-lokts just to see iit it was me or something I'm doing wrong with the hand loads.... well it isnt me shooting the rifle for sure.

I've got the brass in the tumbler now. I guess I'm gunna try to go shorter with the loads. Thats the only choice I have left.

SO for now I'm about to run to the closest place I know that sells reloading supplies. Gunna pick up some accubonds, bergers, hornadys, maybe some match kings(if they have any they sell pretty fast) different powders, HOPEFULLY a chronograph and some more factory ammo... its deer season and I havent even been able to take this rifle to the woods yet... so the factory ammo will have to work

I would get to a sporting goods store and buy two other powders and one different bullet. If I don't get decent results with a bullet I try 2 or 3 other powders, and if nothing shoots I move on to a different bullet. If you go out and buy 5 powders and 5 types of bullets, you will probably have spent more than you need to....unless you live so far away that you need to stock up. I would try H4831 or 4831sc, and maybe reloader 19 or 22. A couple of different primer types wouldn't hurt either. I've seen groups shrink from 1.5 to .75 with seating depth, but if your groups are several inches, I would move on to different powders or bullets.

I had this problem with my 22-250. Varget was't gettin it. so I tryed imr 4064. Clover groups at 100 yds. So what I'm trying to say is powder can mean alot.gun)

thanks guys.. im gunna try some different powders. I picked up 3 boxes of federal premiums w/ 110 gr accubonds.... 4 shots was just one long string all touching.. which was probably just me

What kind of gun do you have and do you know the twist rate?

My 25-06 is a Ruger #1V with a 1:10 twist and there are several bullet/powder combinations that it likes. Two of the standouts are:

87 grain flat based bullet using H4831 powder and CCI 200 primers

100 or 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip using Hodgdon Retumbo powder and CCI 200 primers

It's rare that I don't get one ragged hole with these combos and when I do it's because I drank to much coffee.

I tried a number of different loads before settling on these and I did see powder selection made a significant difference on accuracy.

Off the cuff I recall a couple of bullets that did not work well in my gun at all. The Hornday 100 grain and Sierra 117 grain boat tail. The Sierra 120 grain HP bullets shoot well but the 117 looked like a shotgun pattern.

more info would be nice
Gun scope ect
I shoot 100 gr ballisitc tips with 48.5 gr of h4350 with a 3.275 OAL
shoot sub moa out to 600 yards
I would try the 85 100 and 115 gr balistic tips
Try one with a couple of differant powders

IMO, loose the E-Tips. Those "gilding metal, monolithic slugs" are finicky. The are like the first Barnes X-bullets that came out 15 years ago. Some rifles liked them, most ddn't. I had a very accurate 7mmRM Sendero that would only produce 1.5" groups with them. Drove me nuts trying to get those bullet to shoot. Never did and gave them away.
Put a 100 or 115gn Ballistic Tip in there with some more of that H4350 and watch those bullet holes come together. Your max with the 100gn BT is 53.5gn according to Nosler #6.
I had good accuracy with 100gn BT's, RL22 and 9.5M primers. I also swtched just the bullet to the 100gn TSX and got one-hole 100yd groups. I'm shooting the 115gn BT ahead of RL22 in my Sendero now. Let us know what you find out. JohnnyK.

H 4831SC worked extremely well for me with 85 Nosler BT and 115 Nosler BT. Also shot Sierra 117's and 100 grn Barnes XBT with that powder. A little too slow burn rate for the 85's, even with a 26" barrel.......got extreme muzzle blast, but excellent accuracy.

thanks for the info guys. I'm gunna try some different loads with some accubonds and see what happens.... I really wanted to try a copper core bullet... but I'll work with those later... I just wanted the rifle to shoot decent for now at least!

Its a sps stainless w/ 24" barrel w/ a 1:10 twist, w/ a bushnell 4200 4-16x50 on top.

NOW that I know the rifle isnt a problem I'm gunna regroup and try some different powders, I do have some H4831 so I'll try that.

as for primers I'm having a problem finding any. I can get magnum primers all day long but, the CCI200s and stuff arent easy to come by

First off I have shot factory ammo through the rifle, remington 100 gr core lokts(cheapest I could find) to do some sighting in with the rifle before I started trying to dial in my hand loads. They shoot pretty decent(compared to what im getting with the hand loads), I can put 10 in a tennis ball(didnt measure).

BUT I cannot get any of my hand loads to even touch an 8inch target @ 100 yards, other than the occasional flyer.... and most of the rounds were hitting low to begin with so I dialed up about 16-20 clicks and got it a little better but still not where it should be. I DONT have a chronograph as of now but I will be picking one up for sure... IF I can find one today I will be buiying it.

I've prepped the cases as per RCBS specs, all trimmed to 2.484", and im using RCBS comp. dies.
the loads are
Nosler brass
Remington 9.5 primers
IMR 4350 powder @ 49 grains.
Nosler 100gr E-tips

The tag that comes in the box says they shoot best .030"-.090" off the lands.... the lands on this rifle are @ 3.240"

I've loaded em to 3.235, 3.225, 3.215, 3.210, 3.205, 3.200, 3.195, 3.190, and 3.185.... and none of these rounds are shooting worth a FLIP.

I did my base testing w/ them @ 3.182(a fellow member recommended to try this length) and I went from 47.5gr all the way to 52grs in .5gr increments and never did get it to shoot decent but 49grs seemed to give me the best 2 out of 3 group, and I'de still have a flyer out of the 3... and when I say flyer I mean 4-5"

I was PRAYING it was me... so thats why I bought the core-lokts just to see iit it was me or something I'm doing wrong with the hand loads.... well it isnt me shooting the rifle for sure.

I've got the brass in the tumbler now. I guess I'm gunna try to go shorter with the loads. Thats the only choice I have left.

SO for now I'm about to run to the closest place I know that sells reloading supplies. Gunna pick up some accubonds, bergers, hornadys, maybe some match kings(if they have any they sell pretty fast) different powders, HOPEFULLY a chronograph and some more factory ammo... its deer season and I havent even been able to take this rifle to the woods yet... so the factory ammo will have to work

two things you need to try first.

1. seat the bullets to within .020" of the lands, and shoot a couple three shot groups
2. try a different bullet. Look for one that is shorter, but yet in the same general weight range (ballistic tip?)

Also take the seater stem out of the die, and then take a bullet and see how it fits in the end where it touches the bullet. It should never touch the tip of the bullet, but should touch the ogive area. If it touches the tip you need to either put it in a lathe, or a milling machine, and bore the center out a little bit till the nose does not touch the seater. If it touches the seater the bullets may have a bunch of runout. You also might want to try a different primer (look for a Federal), but I don't think that's the problem. I think you may have a problem with the rifle itself. Remove the bolt, and shine a bright light in there to look at the chamber and throat (I know you can't see much). Also have a close examination of the once fired cases (untouched). Do you have a runout gauge? If you do, I'd be checking them very close. Should be less than .0015" runout in the necks and shoulders. But I've seen throats with large burrs in them, as well as being crooked. What does a tight fitting patch feel like?
gary

Good load 49-48.5 IMR 4350 win brass cci standard large rifle primers 117-120gr bullet
117gr Hornady or the 120gr Speer....

i would try h-4350, 115 berger or baltip. br-2 or 210m primers. good luck. where are you hunting deer?

I picked up some berger 115s and some cci primers today. I am gunna try to get to loading up some more rounds later and give em a shot.... I also want to try some 7828... I saw on another forum where somebody said it worked good in their rifle w/ the e-tips.

My ruger 77 mk11 put 3 shots in one little hole less than 1/4" with 85 gr btip and 60.0 gr of imr 3100.
bullet seated touching the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.