oil field math

luger306

Oilfield Math

Working in
the oilfield with others such as myself and a wealth of combined experience
we understand the accuracy of the following.

Think of it this
way:

A clunker that travels 12,000 miles a year at 15 mpg uses 800
gallons of gas a year.

A vehicle that travels 12,000 miles a year at
25 mpg uses 480 gallons a year.

So, the average Cash for Clunkers
transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

They claim 700,000 vehicles so that's 224 million gallons saved per
year.

That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.

5 million barrels is about 5 hours worth of US consumption.

More importantly, 5 million barrels of oil at $70 per barrel costs
about $350 million dollars

So, the government paid $3 billion of our
tax dollars to save $350 million.

We spent $8.57 for every dollar we
saved.

I'm pretty sure they will do a great job with our health
care, though.

Well if that dont beat all..... Hmmm.
Ya, I bought an 07' 1/2 ton 4door 4x4 Dodge Larimie with a Hemi in 2008. And I LOVE it! Never traded anything in on the $ for clunkers thingy.
I got my $45,000 hemi for $23,000 cause everyone was scared to death about the price of gas. Now I can get 22.6mpg(hwy) or 12mph(fun) depending on my mood, and I like it that way. Heck for the $22,000 price difference, I could get 12mpg all the time and still be ahead! While everyone else was buyin ''rice grinders'' way over sticker price, I got my American dream pickup. (my wife thinks its hers.....:rolleyes:)
lightbulbWouldnt it be a strange concept if our govt had to live on a budget and be frugle, and only spend $ when they could bennifit from it, like the rest of us? But then again us average joes cant afford $30,000 coffee pots etc. And I can see how a realy expensive (pork filled) coffee pot would make way better coffee...... Maybe even good enough coffee to be able to stay awake for math class!
I think we need some tough s.o.b.''Roughnecks'' ballancing our budget in Wasington! They know math AND oil ! And they could double as a secutrity force as well.:D OK, maybe bouncers, but thats a form of security right? hahaha
Thanks for posting Luger! (oil field math....) I like your style, and ya, Im sure with thier current record, our healthcare is in great hands...............

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.