Off the shelf bolt .223 75g amax&77g otm

trickytune

Well after reading a fair bit of Brian Litz stuff and running some numbers I have come to the conclusion my Browning A bolt .223 with 1:12' twist is no good. Federal AE223 ballistic tip 50gr twist rate works out at approx 1.14SG, Hornady 55gr Zombie max 1.09 SG. Shoots average groups with both as expected I guess. Winchester 55gr psp 1.62SG and shoot very well. I now want to shoot the Hornady amax 75g and or the Berger 77gr OTM and am looking at a rifle that can shoot them. 1:9" barrels will all come up at less than 1.5 SG which I'm aiming for (blame Brian for that) So a savage is quite likely not the best option. 2 Bolt actions do meet the requirements. Tikka T3 1:8" about $1200 and needs the magazine modded to get near the lands and the Ruger American $520 1:8" also needs mag mod but I see they can be made to fit 2.5" COAL. Don't want to build a rifle as barrels are $500 upwards in Aussie. Im really pushing towards the Ruger at half the price. Really like my M77 .308. Its not really about the budget its mainly finding a rifle that meets the requirements. And I don't really like the feel of the Tikka (the ONLY reason I would contemplate buying one is the 1:8" twist) Purpose of rifle is hunting and target. Local army range they shoot 500-800yds every weekend.
Any other options? Intelligent input into this please.

Ta

I felt the same way about the T3 "Scout". Zero curb appeal, but it's slowly grown on me. Mostly just by being so consistent. The Hornady SuperPerformance 75 gr HPBT has shot so well I haven't got around to hand loading for it. Liked it well enough to motivate me to buy one in.260.

Heavy! but yeah mean as. I going to contact Savage when they open again and see if they can fit one of those 1:7" barrels to a 16 FCSS or FNSS. My 260 Rem is 6.9 pounds so would like to similar to that. But any of those links you posted would be sick as!

I never liked tikka rifles.
but I was in the same situation as you and got one. im not going to say its the best rifle ever but it is great. making the magazine longer isn't too hard, I got someone to do mine but id have a go myself next time. (theres a how to on 24hr camp fire forum)
mine shoots all holes touching with a good load.
I use it for full bore target shooting (practice nothing too competitive), long range rabbits/varmints its the t3 light slim barrel, so I also stalk in the bush with it.
its a great little rifle.
I shoot from 50 gr vmax right up to 80 gr amax.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.