OAL Question for New Round & New Rifle Build

300magman

I am in the middle of planning a rifle build which will likely center around a 30 cal wildcat on the 338 lapua or norma case, blown out and shortened to 2.5" (Think 300 hulk, jazz, nawakwa)

I am considering working up two different loads depending on where and what I am hunting. One using long, heavy, high BC bullets and the other with lighter, shorter bullets.

The ones I am considering are the 208gr A-Max, 210 Berger, 200 Accubond, then the 180 or even 165 Accubond and the 168 Barnes TTSX.
I have pretty much decided against the 240smk and I don't know any BC information on the new 225gr hornady, so I haven't considered it either.

My thinking is this: I will have a 2.5" case and probably a magazine of 3.9" I'm guessing I would want to have the barrel throated so that I can just seat the shortest of these bullets barely far enough into the case to allow me to use them, that way the longest bullet that I may end up using will protrude back into the case by the least amount (and not take up too much room, reducing my powder capacity)

The last thought I had, was related to barrel wear...I hear of shooters "chasing the lands" and moving thier bullets farther out to keep a load shooting well as the throat begins to wear. > I would probably want to allow for this (but I don't know how much) when thinking of how to initially throat the barrel, so that over time I don't end up having to jump the shorter bullets a longer distance to the lands.

Can anyone help me out on this? I at least want to make sure I sound like I know what I'm talking about when I start asking my smith about such things. lol

he's going to ask you why 2 loads! a 165 and a 200 just aren't all that different. set it up for the 200's seating in just a bit shorter than normal. this will give you the ability to chase the lands or load a shorter bullet to the lands.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.