NZ Long Range Sika Hunting

That is beautiful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For your 1001 yd shot you are using two tripods, one front and one rear...nice way to get every elevation possible.

How much do those deer weigh?

edge.

[ QUOTE ]
Edge,
High country sika in hard country are about whitetail size or a little bigger, but normally they're more like a mulie.
Dark Side,
They sure are Chessies!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be a pest, but Whitetails in New Jersey ( USA ), average 90-110Lbs for a Doe and 120-170 for a Buck, though plenty of 200+ lbs are taken every year the average age is only 1 1/2 yrs due to hunting pressure. Those in the picture look smaller.....but I am looking at them from half way around the World /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

edge.

Edge,
NZ sika average about 130lbs for hinds, and 165lbs for stags. Big stags can go 250lbs plus in late summer.(the biggest I've shot went 280lbs) The sika on that hunt varied considerably, depending on whether they spent their whole year at high altitude, or if they wintered lower down then shifted up for the summer. A small late born 2 year hind living at altitude might weigh as little as 80lbs. The whitetail in NZ vary also depending on whether they live on Stewart island where they'll be a lot smaller, or on the mainland where they can get on towards sika size.
Hope that makes it clearer.

That heavy 7mm/404 looks like a Barnard action. I have one which shoots very well.

One of the guys here has a 7mm/404 wildcat of his own and does very well with it in 500 meter and 1000yd competition.

Also read this post on a uk site i am a member of and have to say that is some fantastic shooting you guys pull off,that with the great environment you are shooting in makes this one shooter wish he were over there,good shooting and a great read

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.