NXS 5.5x22 or 8x32 ???

I posted this in a simular thread. I just tested it yesterday.

""Got my 8-32x56 mounted up and took it to the range today. Thought I would report in with my findings.

I had no issues at all with eye relief of getting a good full view through the scope. I started at 100 yards , then 300 then 1000. All good.

It was 9 degrees when I got to the range at 9:00 am and sun was out bright. I messed around with two rifles and soon it was 11:30 and had warmed to near 30. I was shooting to 1000 by then and mirage or heat waves was not an issue. I should add I did all the shooting on 32x.

I used a 30 moa NEAR MFG base and I came out right where it should. zeroed at 300 I am 9.75 moa off bottom and that leaves me 55 moa of elevation. Looks like Nightforce is on the money too with their advertised 65 moa.

I like it very well so far. My target at 1008 yards has a 2 1/2" orange dot and I was able to cut it into 4 even pieces while shooting a group.

My hopes were that the added magnification would alow me to place bullet more precisely a long distances on both targets and game. I think it is going to help as I shot my best 1000 yard group to date today.

I think the 8-32 is worth looking at if you shoot past 1000 yards very often.

Jeff " gun)gun)

Jeff, thanks a ton for the info here on your new 32 pwr NXF....Please update us as you spend more time with the new scope...Also, did I hear you guys right? The NXF 32 power does NOT have a zero stop??????

thanks
Kelly

Kelly, my NXS 32 does not have zero stop.

Jeff

Awesome, thanks Jeff!! I'm really leaning towards putting a 32 NXF on my new allen mag and your info helps a ton. My 22 NXF is great on my edge, but I just don't feel comfortable on deer sized targets beyond 1300 yards. I have had all of the same concernes you have had regarding more power and this helps a ton.
Although the allen mag is flatter, I still have to deal with your same issues. Please post more as you shoot more at distances with your new scope. I still have time before I need to purchase the 32 pwr NXF.
My other issue is an adequate range finder that out performes the Swor. I've talked to Shawn C, and the folks from Cheytec in southern Id and others and there really seems to be a big void for range finders in the 1,500 to 2,500 yard range. Thats another topic all together.

Regards,
Kelly

The range finder that may fill the role is the Vectronix PLRF 15C but does anybody have any experience with it?

Broz, of the 55 moa you had to work with, how many moa was needed to get you to the 1008 yards and what caliber?

Broz, of the 55 moa you had to work with, how many moa was needed to get you to the 1008 yards and what caliber?

.338 Lapua @ 2850 with a 300 yard zero. I used 21 moa but it needed to be 21.5 and I didn't put in the 1 moa of spin drift either.

DSC02024Large.jpg

DSC02026Large.jpg

The range finder that may fill the role is the Veherctronix PLRF 15C but does anybody have any experience with it?

I heard Shawn Carlock talking about the vetronix the other day but I dont think he has tried it out....I also talked to one of the trainers from Cheytec in Southern Id the other day and he said they are looking at the Newcon range finders?????????

Broz, Thanks for responding. Nice shooting, looks like you called it right on the money with the 30 moa. Check me on this. If you had went with no base then 300 yard zero would be 39.5 moa and roughly moa maxed out at 1000 yards??? If I'm correct, then if on a similar caliber I put a NF 12-42 on my rifle w/o no base I'd be in the crapper to get to 1k with a 300 yard zero???

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.