NW Nebraska

civil82

Gentlemen, I know a few people who have hunted the Fort Robinson area of NW Nebraska a few times and it has sparked my interest to get out that way this coming deer season.
Is there anyone on the forum from the area, or who has hunted the area to give me any additional insight of what to prepare for, etc?
I realize this is a really open ended question, but figured this forum would be a good resource to use to gather any information that I can while in the planning stages of a DIY hunt.
We live in NW Pennsylvania, and I have never hunted out of state. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

-Dave

Hi Dave,
I've been up here a couple years now, and the hunting is pretty good. What are you wanting to hunt? The local motel in chadron, I believe it's a super 8 or best western one, has freezers in the back they let the hunters use to keep their meat if you stay there. There is quite a bit of public land in the area of the pine ridge. Ft Rob has good camping areas and the hunting from what i hear is pretty good. The thing about Nebraska that makes it a popular state for out of staters is the over the counter mulie tags. There are antelope too, but getting an antelope tag except for archery is tough. You will just have to find a game and parks office, which is the same place to buy tags, and they have tons of maps detailing the public lands in the area. hope this gets you started.
Nimrod

Thnaks for the heads up. I've been keeping an eye on the online news. Are you in a firedamaged area? I'm set to stay at Ft Robinson, but I'm starting to get a little worried that the place is going to be packed due to a lack of damage there. I spoke to my father in law, who has been in NW Nebraska several years in a row, and he has the same concern. From what he has been told by a few ranchers out there is that a lot of the public land that he previously hunted got hit fairly bad.

-Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.