Nube questions surrounding purchase of Leupold CDS scope

Gumbo

I'm planning on buying a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm CDS and will be installing it on my Browning A-Bolt II Medallion 270. The primary application is hunting. Being a nube to all this, I have a few questions and would appreciate any direction you can provide:

Q1: I noticed that Leupold now has a model with an adjustable objective lense. I don't think this was originally available, but as this scope goes to 14x, is paralax really needed? Just wondering if it's worth paying extra for this feature.

Q2: Bases and mounts. I'm clueless here. I currently have a Nikon Monarch 3x9 on it, but have no idea what bases/mounts it has. As I'm planning on extending my shooting distance, should I get new bases/mounts? And if so, what?

Q3: Through the Leupold custom shop, they can put windage on this scope in addition to elevation. Is this worth doing before I mount and sight in the scope? Or should I even bother?

Keep in mind I'm a technical person, borderline geek--so I like gadgets. I'm new to long-range shooting and am looking to extend my current capabilities while keeping it simple. I also have a Leupold rangefinder, so I don't need to use the scope for ranging estimations.

Thanks for your help.

Parallax adjustment is easily plus or minus 0.5 MOA unless you have good shooting form. 0.5 MOA is not a big deal for shooting deer out to 500 yards being as it is only 2.5 inches give or take. Nonetheless, almost everyone would get the parallax adjustment if possible because you might need to do some precision shooting around limbs or trees and have a small aiming point.

If the tube diameter is the same then your old bases and rings should be adequate. However, before you do that you need to decide how far you are going to shoot and what bullet you are going to use and then calculate the amount of elevation you are going to need to dial up. Once you know how many MOA you may need to dial, then see if you can do that with your current scope. If you cannot then you will probably need to either get a 20 MOA canted base or a set of Burris Posi align rings with inserts.

Let me try to reword the previous paragraph a different way. Not all receivers are flat. Not all scopes have adequate elevation from the center on up to get to long range distances. If either of these are the case then you need a canted base or rings with inserts.

Windage is useful when you know what bullet and at what speed you will be shooting. You should know beforehand that your rifle shoots that bullet accurately and you should be sure you are not going to get itchy and change bullets later.

Gumbo,

Unless I miss my guess, I believe the turret that Leupold sends out for their CDS scope is only marked for one complete turn - whether that is 500 or 800 yds. Although the elevation turret may still be able to crank higher, there will be no yardage hash marks after the first revolution.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.