Not so happy with the Accubonds

Other than sticking your nose where it doesn't belong is there a reason you decided to start on me here?

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? You've made great efforts to "suggest" that in my hunt, which you weren't even there, has a higher probability that I am at fault, so much so, that you are willing to "bet" on it.

The shooter thinks himself to be god in that he could not have made an error!!

Edge, I didn't read this particular post before I replied on the other one. You stepped over the line here. And in this case, I know I did not make an error. You are so vehemently latched on to this concept that it makes me think you are the one who suffers such errors.

You have a gift for over-interpreting a post. You are very bold to "suggest" that I think I'm God, which is capitalized you disrespectful moron, unless of course you are an atheist.

You remind me of a 13 year old girl going through puberty....all the emotions and over-interpretations of someone else's words.

I stand by my post. Now why don't you go hibernate.

Last edited:
I hope this adolescent bantering stops. I don't see where anyone comes off judging someone else's shot on an internt thread unless someone blatently brags about stupid or unsafe practices. If I were to comment, I would I might explain graciously how I might do it different.

To assign blame on an internet thread is ridiculous. It's hard enough for a team of LE officers to piece together events with a pile of evidence let alone make conclusions from an internet thread.

Derek, I also watched a friend make about a 200 yd shot on a mulie buck across a coulie and drop him. He also got up and trotted off but we didn't see that as we were crossing the bottom of the coulie. When we got to the other side, we found no buck but did find some blood and tracks. We tracked it onto private land (without permission) for over a mile and the blood stopped and we lost the tracks. I stopped the search for lack of tracks and was not feeling good about being on private land. There were three of us and we didn't feel good about it, but I certainly didn't blame him. He took the time to make a good shot and as far as I know he did. We tried to recover the animal unsuccessfully. It happens now and then. There is nothing sure about hunting. We are our own judges and hopefully learn from every experience.

I would humbly suggest that you not continue to engage edge. Anyone who stoops to name calling and irrrational ranting can not be reasoned with.

Hopefully I will not recieve any such insults, but I think it's a real possibility, in which case I will not respond.

My $.02 plus change :)

OK, Mr. Derek!

No matter how you slice it you appear to be a pathetic arrogant moron!

You are the moron that proclaimed that the Accubond failed with ZERO proof! Every post since has been your feeble attempt to show that it could not have been you.

Please explain how the bullet failed and how you did not!
You can't even except any possibility that you could have made a bad shot!

I personally know zero hunters that have never made, and had the humility to accept the blame for losing an animal. Fortunately I don't know you!

edge.

OK, Mr. Derek!

You are the moron that proclaimed that the Accubond failed with ZERO proof!

And you are the one who "bet" that it was me with ZERO proof. Amazing.

How does one prove something that happened years ago, other than deductive reasoning in this case?

Why do you need proof in this case when you wrote that bullets can and do fail? How does one prove anything on an internet forum other than what you have proven to me?

You still didn't read my posts where I have twice now, clearly written, about past mistakes.

Edge, please read this very slowly. I'm very concerned about your ability, but we'll try this one more time. I'll put a lot of spaces b/w the words so you don't get lost. Let me know if you are dyslexic and we can try again:

Bullet hit where I was aiming. Blood visible leaking out from exact point where crosshairs were when trigger broke. Buck traveled long long long distance. Bullet failed.

Now if you simply don't believe me, then grow some balls and just say so. You'd be wrong but what you believe or want to believe is simply up to you. I think we can both live with that.

By the way, I'm not arrogant, and those who know me agree. Those with simple minds refer to people like me as arrogant (hint hint). I'm confident with my hunting. You must not be, otherwise, you'd see the difference.

Last edited:
So, what bullet will you use next time, instead of an accubond?

Well, did you read my other post about having thousands of ABs on the bench and that it is still a go-to bullet for several of my rifles? I use lots of bullets. But my favorite for hunting inside of 300 yards is the Barnes TSX and TTSX for the combination of penetration, and accuracy.

I've had botched bowhunts, about 4 in 20 years that come to mind. I still bowhunt and still use the same Muzzy broadheads.

I shot at a broadside, standing buck one time who was so fast at ducking and turning that when we reviewed the video, the arrow would have been perfect behind the shoulder, however, due to his quick response, at only 19 yards, the arrow squared him in the shoulder, punched only one lung and he made it several hundred yards. We gained permission the next morning by the landowner to continue the trail.

Sometimes crap happens when hunting. I still love the AB. Got over 300 loaded up for the same 270. I cannot explain (or prove) to anyone what happened but will tell you that as God as my witness, everything was right on that hunt except the end result.

Maybe I should blame the deer for having a lot of mass and thus it stopped the penetration. You think that would fly with edge?

I personally know zero hunters that have never made, and had the humility to accept the blame for losing an animal. Fortunately I don't know you!

edge.

Same here. Well, to the first part, including myself.

As far as being fortunate to not know me, well, I think if you and I sat down over some venison roasts, taters n carrots, in a hunting camp somewhere, I'm confident we'd find common ground.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm glad I don't know you. You could be a great guy and great hunter and someone who has good stories to share. I don't know. You just seem a little to quick to pass judgment, that's all. That's my only concern with you.

And you are the one who "bet" that it was me with ZERO proof. Amazing.

Try reading the rest of that line!
"Quite honestly, if you hit it at 45 yards as you say, then I bet that it was you...but I don't know for sure either!"

Bullet hit where I was aiming. Blood visible leaking out from exact point where crosshairs were when trigger broke. Buck traveled long long long distance. Bullet failed.

Too bad for you that deer are three dimensional animals!
If this bullet shrapnelled at 45 yards the large solid base would most likely continued on the intended path and probably exited.

Since you did not recover the animal, the shot could have gone high, too far back, it could have gone anywhere.
I did NOT say that you screwed up, which you fail to comprehend, but it is a possibility because the animal was never recovered.

Now if you simply don't believe me, then grow some balls and just say so. You'd be wrong but what you believe or want to believe is simply up to you. I think we can both live with that.

By the way, I'm not arrogant, and those who know me agree. I'm confident with my hunting. You must not be, otherwise, you'd see the difference.

The fact is I DON"T KNOW what happened, but if it makes you feel like a man, then I guess that you are a liar! Feel better?
What I do KNOW for a fact is that while you were there, you don't know what happened to this bullet either!

edge.

PS try re-reading my first post without the chip on your shoulder and I think that you will see that I was not declaring that you were at fault, only that the possibility must be addressed!

Last edited:
Well I shot my Elk this year with a .338 225 grain AB in my .338WM, and I must say I was very happy with the performance. Although, to be fair, my bullet travelled through a significant amount of bone. I shot this cow at 225yds (lasered), she was quartering toward me. I placed the shot at the base of the neck and the bullet travelled through 4-6 vertebra and the off shoulder blade, coming to rest just below hide behind the off shoulder. All together, I figure the bullet travelled through 6-10" of solid bone. The bullet was a perfect mushroom weighing 150 grains. In my opinion, pretty good retention for the extreme amount of bone it went through. Needless to say, her head and haunches hit the ground at the same time.

I used a 225 CT AB (winchester factory ammo), 338 WM, on my largest black bear at roughly 12 yards. He dropped at the shot and only twitched for a few seconds. I went ahead and shot him again for insurance.

The first bullet was recovered in the offside hide. I never weighed it but it mushroomed well.

I was a bit surprised that it did not pass through.

PS try re-reading my first post without the chip on your shoulder and I think that you will see that I was not declaring that you were at fault, only that the possibility must be addressed!

The possibility was addressed the day the buck was shot, and I determined that it was the bullet.

BUT! without examining the deer, to see exactly where shot placement was, not where it appeared to be, and seeing what the performance of said bullet was, there is no way you can emphaticly say the bullet failed.
I've saw my share of this kind of thing and more times than not its not the bullets fault.

I shot a deer last year at 267 yards with a mzzldr, a guy witnessed the shot said " she had a front leg swingingwhen she ran off, I almost had to agree the way it looked to me through the 9X scope.... when we found her, 30 yards away, the bullet hit low in the neck severing the carotoid (s) artery (6" lower than I had planned) she was completely bled out, what we thought was a front leg swinging was in fact a very large stream of blood.

I just don't understand, how anyone could come to the immature conclusion that "it wasn't my fault, shot placement was perfect" any bullet put in the vitals of a deer at 45 yards, even if it did separate, blowup, whatever would kill said deer, how far does a bullet have to get in to kill a deer? 3" on small deer, 6" on larger ones, and without hitting heavy bones, any 7mm bullet made would do that.
RR

Last edited:
there is no way you can emphaticly say the bullet failed.

Sure I can, and I did. Care to see it again? The bullet did not do what it was designed to do, despite the fact that the shot was PERFECT. I state this EMPHATICALLY. I am certain that my shot was perfect as I am that you have bad grammar.

I've saw my share of this kind of thing

I've saw? (I have saw)? Give me a few minutes to recover from laughing....

I just don't understand, how anyone could come to the immature conclusion that "it wasn't my fault, shot placement was perfect"

Uhhh, how about b/c that is exactly what happened?

Immature? Well let me guess, in your entire hunting experience, you've never ever said, "my shot was perfect, I made a great shot, etc." ?? If not, then I suggest you get some serious range time in b/c the animals you are pursuing deserve better. In fact, if you can't say you made a perfect shot, then leave the animals alone, and go find something else to do. Hunter's should ALWAYS deliver perfect shots. It's why we practice. It's why we handload and build custom rifles. Boasting about a perfect shot at 45 yards isn't bragging. My kid can do that. It is a chip shot for anyone with a reasonable degree of confidence and experience.

To say that this is "immature" speaks volumes of your level of intelligence and lack of experience.

First, you can't write English properly. It's "I have seen..., not I've saw."

Second, immaturity has nothing to do with visual observation.

I did "examine" the deer. I saw blood coming from his chest where I was aiming which is where the bullet entered.

any bullet put in the vitals of a deer at 45 yards, even if it did separate, blowup, whatever would kill said deer

I agree. He probably did die, unfortunately, it was probably days later. Or is this something you can't grasp?

how far does a bullet have to get in to kill a deer? 3" on small deer, 6" on larger ones, and without hitting heavy bones, any 7mm bullet made would do that.

You are SOOO mistaken. I so much enjoy posts from people like you. The foolishness exudes with a stench. You don't know sh_t. I picked that up right away with the less than stellar English "I've saw...."

First off, where did you derive your completely flawed data? 3" small deer, etc.? Define "small deer." Define "large deer." And please report at what point from small to large, there's the need for the increase in 3 more inches of penetration.

Moreover, define your implication of WHEN the game dies. You know, you can take out just one lung and have a survivor that lives for years, or maybe dies months later from infection. So, the end result would be yes, it dies, but to imply it will die right then, is laughable.

If you were correct, which, you aren't, and your post is completely asinine (that means devoid of intelligence, by the way), then please explain the vast numbers of animals killed and when skinned, and field dressed, have encapsulated broadheads, shotgun slugs, bullets in and around the vitals.

...and why are you bringing up a 7mm bullet?

Here's what I'll do for those of you who can only understand black and white, absolutes, etc.

The accubond bullet, 140 grain, that I shot from a 270 rifle, probably performed flawlessly. It probably had outstanding penetration, mushroomed perfectly, and probably had excellent wt retention. Unfortunately, the buck that was hit with this bullet in the chest was able to survive the wound channel with such vigor, that he ran cross country and probably died somewhere in the next county, despite the PERFECT shot placement by me that I've done too many times to count over the last 2 decades, which, judging by the posts I've read, trumps some other poster's experience, and by a substantial margin.

I'll add that this is the only animal I've shot with a firearm that I didn't recover. If you can't digest that kind of success, or luck or both, then that is your problem. I'll also add that the batch of bullets for that lot were losing their white tips. When I called Nosler and reported it, they stated that they've had a few batches of AB bullets that were losing their tips but think that they've corrected the problem. When my round was chambered, the tip was on it, but after the shot, there was a white tip missing from another round in the mag.

I do not know if this has any bearing on the performance of that lot of bullets.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.