Not Long Range but HELP NEEDED

5Redman8

I am going to Africa in June 2004 and will be bowhunting and using a rifle if the bowhunting does not prove rewarding.

I will use my 280 Rem in my Encore. What bullets would you recommend for Kudu, Gemsbock, Warthog, and impala. I need something to penetrate well.

I was thinking a Swift A frame in 150-160gr or maybe barnes. What do you think???

Thanks,
Kyle

[ 11-24-2003: Message edited by: 5Redman8 ]

To be honest with you, I would say any bullet capable of taking Elk on down would do the trick. Everything from the Hornady Interlock to the super bonded bullets should do just fine. I would, however, use 160 grain/class bullets and nothing lighter.

Headhunter

If it was me i would load up a couple of smk's 168gr and take them along it would be a good test for smk's on african game.

i agrre with using the 160g bullets-for the most part african guides like to see people shoot bigger bullets at slightly slower speeds than us americans are used to,typically shots are not that far so the need to shoot real flat is not a real concern-my 2-dave

I wouldn't mind trying the MK's but not on my dollar. I know they are capable but I have never used them for any reason, not even punching paper. I have found quick and easy loads with Noslers ballistic tips and have never experimented much with other bullets. I will probably go with Noslers Accubond in a 160 grain.

Thanks,
Kyle

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.