Not enough free bore. That's a switch.

Ankeny

Not enough free bore. That\'s a switch.

I just got a rebarrel/chambering job back from Pac-Nor. I just despise a rifle with excessive free bore, but this rifle is just the opposite. The throat is so short it won't even chamber factory ammo. Holy cow. I'll call the company tomorrow to see what they say. Thought I would post this as a reminder to always check... Good grief.

Can't you just take your press and seat the bullets back till they clear? Now you can shoot little short varmint bullets and the VLD style won't be out to far to fit the mag. You may just want to rethink this a little before you go cutting it out. Set way short you can chase the rifling for awhile with factory ammo. How cool is that?

This is the first time I have been back since the forum conversion. First off, the chamber meets minimum SAMMI specs so factory ammo is safe enough. I was wrong and my apologies to PacNor. However, if a person used COL data from some of the manuals, the bolt wouldn't even close. The rifle is a Remington 700 BDL with a number 5 taper, five flutes, Holland recoil lug, dropped into a slightly modified HS Precision stock. I tried some 168 Berger VLD bullets over 64.0 grains of RE-22 seated .015 off the rifling. I am getting about 2935 fps and get this...way under 1 MOA...more like .3-.5 MOA out to around 700 yards. Yeah the pressure is a tad high and the velocity a bit low...but it's a hunting rifle so I think I better just shut up and shoot. :)

What caliber you shooting. I'm having bad luck with 168 VLd's out of my 300WM with RL-22. I read where many had best luck seated into the lands. I may want to back them out a tad.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.