Not completely Lost, but close

HighKnob

I expect I've read most of everything here in the past year. I can't seem to shake this long range shooting bug, though I can't afford some of the nice things you guys here shoot. I've got 3 decent rifles, 2 700's in 270 and 7RM, and a 03a3 in 30-06. I have done lots of work on the 7 RM last winter while reading here as I was planning an antelope hunt to Wy. Thanks to BuffloeBob, without him I wouldn't have made it.
I glass bedded the plastic stock, reinforced the fore end and filled it with glass too. Floated the barrel, adjusted the trigger to 2#. Did a ton of work at the reloading bench and came away with .5 shooter. Took 3 lopes, 180, 240, and a 357 yd head shot on a doe. I was pleased.
Now I've got the bright idea to rebarrel the 03a3 to make a 600yd gun. I've done a lot of work to it since i've owned it........49yrs this year i think. It's been restocked, bedded, floated, timney trigger, 32# bolt spring, redid the bolt and changed the safety, cut and recrowned the barrel.
What do you guys think of the 03a3 action for long range. I know there are better but I've got this one and don't see much i'd have to do but rebarrel. I think i might even stay with the 30-06, but am open to other ideas.
And now for glass. I have a Leupold vari-X III 3.5X10 on the 7RM (though i borrowed a 6.5-20 Vari-X III to shoot last year for load work up and to take to wy)
The stock 700 adl wood 270 has a vxIII 2.5X8. My wife shoots this one and took a nice lope in Wy with it.
My 03 has a cheap 3X9 and mostly sits in the safe. Would like something in the 4-14 range for it if i do this change.

Sorry for the rambling........any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Highknob, sounds like you're off to a good start. 3 lopes, not exactly chip shots for most. as for the guns, the 270 you should leave alone, i think that's the plan anyways. especially if it's the wifes gun. i'd also leave the 06 alone, except for one thing, heck you've only had it for 49 years. it sounds like the perfect grab it when you gotta shoot something gun. i have an 06 like that, this year i shot a snapping turtle with it. i've killed everything from blackbirds to moose with it. you already have your long range gun, a 7RM is certainly very capable well past 800 yards. i also know what it's like to want these other toys we need to do this long range stuff, but unfortunately the vendors want money to let us have them. take the 3-10 off the 7rm and put it on the 06. that will be a great scope for it and get a scope that will work for long range on the 7rm. some like a 4-14 as you mentioned, a 6-20 or whatever you want. there are quite a few to choose from. just get a scope that repeats, they usually don't have world class on the side of them. unfortunately, the gun is just the first piece of the puzzle. a good rangefinder is a must, then there's usually some looking glass to find something to shoot at. it's a lot of fun and something that can be practiced and improved upon year round.just take your time and get good equipment when you can afford it. you'll be much happier in the long run.

Thanks Dave! I think you've given me a new direction. Makes more sense to me now too. I've been looking at glass and re-reading a lot of what's here and it's a tough decision. I've had good luck with used vxiii Leupold, but haven't tried the repeatability of them. Seems they're a good buy for the money used in the 400 to 500 dollar range.

I know a fella from around here (this site) who is very thorough and caluated in his precisness and testing.

He's the kind of fella that puts the first 3 shots on a piece of printer paper at 1500 yards and not even close to the edges........ He has a night force on that rig.

On his other rig there is a VX -III.

Therefore I wouldn't concern my self even a little regarding repeatability etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.