nosler's lr accubond

The question is......... Is it appropriate to take shots like this at long range..............i.e. >>> "quatering away shots and still be able to punch thru the paunch to reach the vitals"

To me long range shots at game should be restricted to broadside shot only and that is what a long range projectile should be designed to do.
The only thing that should limit the range of our shots is the quality of our equipment, and our ability to place a bullet we know will perform where it counts.

It's up to each of us to make those determinations and be honest with ourselves before pulling the trigger.

[FLOATRIGHT][/FLOATRIGHT]
I like your optimism in the Accubond, I don't share it after using it for years. The Accubond was a major reason I gave Bergers a try and haven't looked back.

Like you I also used accu-bonds for a few years before I made the switch to Berger's,and please don't get me wrong I love my bergers,but I stand by my statement about them being a broadside bullet. Unlike you I have nothing but great things to say about the accu-bond. I have taken several animals with both and the results were exactly the same, dead in tracks! The difference is my biggest mule deer to date was a 353 yd steep down hill and steep quartering to me shot, the accu-bond hit just in front of the left shoulder traveled diagonally thru the full length of the animal a was lodged under the skin on the backside of the right ham. I would have taken that shot with the Berger but I also know that bullet would have not left the chest cavity!

Well I let a real nice 6 x6 bull elk walk because it was a steep quartering shot it was only 331yds but I would have had to hit just in front of the back leg thru the stomach and into the vitals, I didn't take the shot cause I dont think the Berger would have made it to the vitals, I do remember thinking to myself if I had an accu-bond that would be a dead bull!

I guess it depends on what you class as long range. I don't class 331 yards as all that far and any hunting bullet from a suitable calibre should be able to work at that distance. Nothing wrong with quartering away shots at 331 yards, however I would never intentially shoot through the stomach on large game.

At "long range" the vital area is so much harder to hit and the impact velocity is so much lower. A broadside shot reduces the chance of wounding the animal and a bullet designed for such shots is the logical choice.

A controlled expansion bullet designed for a high impact velocity may not do as much damage in a long range - low impact velocity situation.

I guess it depends on what you class as long range. I don't class 331 yards as all that far and any hunting bullet from a suitable calibre should be able to work at that distance. Nothing wrong with quartering away shots at 331 yards, however I would never intentially shoot through the stomach on large game.

At "long range" the vital area is so much harder to hit and the impact velocity is so much lower. A broadside shot reduces the chance of wounding the animal and a bullet designed for such shots is the logical choice.

A controlled expansion bullet designed for a high impact velocity may not do as much damage in a long range - low impact velocity situation.

I agree with ya on this statement topshot, 331 yds is not a longrange shot at all, the point I was trying to make was I didnt trust the bullet I had to make a clean ethical one shot kill on this bull, and if I had a controlled expansion bullet, knowing my equipment and shooting ability I would have taken the shot knowing full well I could have slipped that bullet into the vitals. And like you when im shooting at animals at "longrange " which to me is 600 + yds I wait for a broadside shot to present itself. You might find this kinda interesting, this last September I took a mule deer buck @1185 yds the vld hit just behind the front right shoulder clipped a rib destroyed the heart and lungs and part of the bullet exited mid body on the left side but when I was quartering it up to load in the pack I was skinning out the right rear quarter and found the nose jacket of the 197 gn vld just inside of the skin on the inside of the rear quarter! All I can think of is when the bullet hot the rib it came apart and the jacket traveled along the body under the skin and came to rest there, and this was a full on broadside shot. The deer took 4 steps stood there for a second and then fell over dead.

I for one am excited about the Accubond LR... And i'm not going to worry about the quartering or the beloved TX heart shot at long distance... that's an individual decision.... I'm waiting for the broadside shot but that's me. One of the concern I have is actually about the unpredictable results of Bergers at short ranges. I know if i walk out prepared for a long range hunt that a dream trophy will step out at 50 yards. I've turned one deer and one hog dam near inside out shooting them with bergers inside of 100yrds and I just hate to disrespect an animal by turning it into shrapnel... Varmints excluded of course.

I also, despite the fact that some energy exits with it, much prefer to have an exit hole and blood trail. I lost a nice eight point once because I lost him in a corn field under the recoil... Turns out he didn't go into the corn like he was headed. They found him a couple of weeks later 10 ft away from where I was looking... No blood trail but after a couple of weeks you could smell your way to him easy. Only animal i've lost and it was a berger.

I love the Bergers for their accuracy and high BC... But I also really like the consistent results of the Accubonds... Perhaps there's a bonded Berger in the work. Any way you slice it options are good. Bring em ABLRs on I'm tired of waiting

I like your optimism in the Accubond, I don't share it after using it for years. The Accubond was a major reason I gave Bergers a try and haven't looked back.

BNG-I am unsure of what your experience was, but my experience with the Accubonds also caused me to look for another bullet. I had very "consistent" results with the Accubonds, and never felt the bullet expanded-at all. I know my results seem to differ from what many others report, but were your results similar?

It will be interesting to see what the terminal reports of this bullet prove in the field........

I shoot both Berger's and accubonds depending on the rifle. My 7mm likes 140 accubonds and they had worked well on numerous elk for me. My rum loves Berger's and they worked on numerous elk and bears as well as deer. My 243 uses accubond and my gf flattened a 7-9 year old Whitetail buck at 230 yards last fall with a 90 grain ab. Broke both shoulder sockets below the shhoylder blade and disconnected the heart also exited... deer bangflopped. Both bullets work very well for me.
I had a box of 210 lrab but I elected to sell them because the Berger's work well in my rum and I didn't want to use components and.barrel life for a.rifle that I already have dialed well.

So It has been 2 years. Is the Jury still out on these. I am thinking about trying the 142 LAB 6.5s in my 6.5-284. Wondering what results others have had?

I've got the 210 grainers shooting very well in my 300 WSM. Haven't tested the terminal performance, but I doubt there will be an issue. They seem to run best with a good bit of jump. The groups really tightened up around .090 off the lands. My final load ended up .095 off.

They shoot well and guys are liking them, but for me, it just begs the question: why? Especially when there are so many other less expensive great 30 cal LR bullets out there. Nice to have options I guess...

They shoot well and guys are liking them, but for me, it just begs the question: why?

They fill a niche other haven't tried yet. A lot of folks asked for a bonded High BC hunting bullet and Nosler stepped up.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.