nosler's lr accubond

For some unknown reason, my 6.5-06 AI just would not shoot the 140 gr. Berger or the 142 gr. SMK. Custom barrel with a 1-in-8 twist, but would only group .75 to 1.0 MOA with either bullet. However, the rifle loves the 130 gr. AB's with the .49 BC. I may have to try Nosler's new LR version with the higher BC.

Berger is coming out with a new Hunter Elite Hybrid bullet. I know that this offering provides no ballistic upgrade in some calibers. But the .277 caliber is another story. I had a chance to test some of these new 170 gr. bullets. Actual field results suggested a true, repeatable G1 BC of 7.0. That smokes everything out there, with the exception of the Wildcat bullets, which don't seem to be around much anymore.

i loved the original accubonds because of their performance on game..but if these b.c.'s are correct they will definitely take over the hunting market! im sure they will have a pretty price tag on them but i hope they are here to stay. i miiiiiiiiiiight even be able to load those 190 or 210gr bullets to mag length without decreasing case capacity in my wsm.

now as for the 6.5's...i wonder why decided to go with the 129gr instead of 140? I am no engineer by any means but wont the 140 outperform the 129ers everytime at longer range?
As to the latter, the reason is simple. Nearly every 6.5/.264 rifle in production today has enough twist to stabilize the 130gr bullets, but a lot will lack the velocity or twist to stabilize the 140's or heavier bullets.

When you bring a new product on the market like this in order to pay off your development costs you put just those items out early in which will sell in large numbers.

If these bullets take off like I suspect they will I'd be willing to bet that within a year or two at most you'll see them putting out "heavy for caliber bullets" across the spectrum of calibers.

We have to remind ourselves occasionally, or at least we should, that LR hunters and shooters are a very small percentage of the total market.

0.70$ a piece is a pretty nasty price..hopefully that's suuugggeesssted retail price! the accubonds are deadly killers so if their b.c. is even close to what they are advertising then count me in!

The real news here is they have a bullet that will now expand down to 1300fps. This alone adds range for the hunter. The 1300fps-3200fps is the biggest velocity window out there for a tipped AND limitited expansion bullet! All round great news, even if the BC's are way off.

Not hostile at all, I shoot a lot of Nosler product, just waiting to fall all over myself declaring them the greatest long range bullet of all time until I shoot them, or at least someone shoots them :D

Now, why on earth would you want to wait? :rolleyes: Testing, phuey.....The ultimate LRH bullet search is over!! -ish....

The real news here is they have a bullet that will now expand down to 1300fps. This alone adds range for the hunter. The 1300fps-3200fps is the biggest velocity window out there for a tipped AND limitited expansion bullet! All round great news, even if the BC's are way off.

So it's ok that the unverified BC might be off... but what about the unverified expansion window? 1300fps is ACLU Lawyer low (if you catch my drift). Along with BNG, I will be watching from the sidelines for a good bit.

When something seems too good to be true.......:cool:

t

I can't wait to try the .284" 168gr's! My 7mmSTW loves the .284" Nosler Custom Comp 168gr HPBT's, and it also loves the 160gr Accubonds, so do all my 7mm's. I'm betting the STW will REALLY love the 168 Accubonds.

Now, why on earth would you want to wait? :rolleyes: Testing, phuey.....The ultimate LRH bullet search is over!! -ish....

So it's ok that the unverified BC might be off... but what about the unverified expansion window? 1300fps is ACLU Lawyer low (if you catch my drift). Along with BNG, I will be watching from the sidelines for a good bit.

When something seems too good to be true.......:cool:

t

Could be to good to be true. We will soon see i guess. Nosler has never lied about expansion velocitys i don't think....They always seem to lie on BC.

I called Nosler to ask about the LR bullets. Putting aside the fact that they are biased and are giving me a sales pitch, they said that the performance of these bullets is equal to the regular AB's at shorter ranges. I asked what the downside was of these bullets vs regular AB's, and they said that there were none (from a performance, not price perspective).

Anyone with any opinions as to whether that may be mktg talk or truth?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts