Nosler Partition Accuracy??? Compared to ...

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by muleythumper, Jul 3, 2013.

1. muleythumper

muleythumper Well-Known Member

I am a VERY beginner hand loader, and I am trying to get as much info as possible on different bullets to try out. I am going to use my handloads for hunting only....no bench rest competition. My question is, are Nosler Partitions an accurate load? I know they are a great hunting bullet, but are they as accurate as others such as Accubonds, Barnes TSX,Hornady, etc...?

2. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

It should be. I think more has to do with how accurate your powder measure, COL, and runout of your bullets are. I also think any boat tail bullet has the potential to be just as accurate as the next, provided the mfg does their part and produces quality and concentric length, weight, ogive and marplats on their bullets. That's why alot of the benchrest and competition guys will measure, weigh, and sort their bullets accordingly before loading them. I don't do this, but as a hunter and recreational shooter, as long as I'm getting tight cloverleaf groups I'm happy. But sometimes I do try to see how I can tweak my loads to possibly get a little more accuracy out of them to see how close I can get to shooting 1 ragged hole groups.

3. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

My 250 partitions I use in a 340 Wby are flat base bullets. They can be very accurate to a certain distance. In some rifles more accurate than boat tails. But after a given distance a boat tail will retain more energy, more velocity, have less drop and drift so at this point the boat tails, to me, are more accurate.

So what distance are we talking? and what caliber and bullet weight?

jeff

4. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Partitions are designed and built for terminal performance first & foremost. Accuracy is not the primary goal of its design. However, I recently learned just how accurate a Partition bullet could shoot when I fired 3 consecutive surprisingly small groups with it at 200 yds.

Here are two of them - remember, they were shot at 200yds using a field weight hunting rifle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jkupper

jkupper Well-Known Member

I'm experiencing results similar to varmint hunter from both my 30-06 and my 243.

6. AZShooter

AZShooter Well-Known Member

They certainly can be accurate. I had a 300 win mag that shot the 200 gr partition into the tinest of clusters.

Here is a 6mm Rem that shoots groups like this everytime with 100 gr partitions. Both pics are five shot groups

[​IMG]

7. meat head

meat head Well-Known Member

I have always had them to shoot greatgun)