Nosler failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt realize I had to research their products to find out they are worthless

That was the whole point. YOU DID NO RESEARCH! You loaded them up and shot them into an animal (which died by the way) without so much as reading one word. Then you hop on a public forum and badmouth something that you have no business doing because you know nothing about them. That is how rumors start sir and you are propagating them plain and simple. I wouldn't agree with what you are doing whether I liked Nosler or not. But as it is, I DO like Nosler and have used BT's to kill over a dozen animals over 600 yards and they ALL performed beautifully. But I never used them to kill anything close range because I READ THE MANUAL before I began.

speal on the packaging brags about great penetration with expansion,doesnt say look up the fine print on line to see the truth about them.

Well, I must be blind because I can't see any thing on the package that says anything about penetration or expansion. ANd I looked at well over a dozen of their boxes in all calibers.

Barnes triple shocks perform at 50 or 500 and at any speed my rifles can produce,problem solved.

Well, if you're going to limit shots to 500 yards, Barnes can work. But if you slow it down too much, you risk full penetration with no expansion. So, in effect, you have the exact opposite problem with Barnes. They work close and not far. Nosler works far and not so well close. ANd this is a LONG RANGE forum just so you know.

Defend their crap all you want,they may work flawlessly for you,I

Yep, they have. And everyone I've loaded them for. And many other people here. But we used them correctly.

,I changed product lines and i even slowed my loads down below 3000 to ensure they worked properly and they still failed,

Well let's just rule out all probability that perhaps you got a lemon bullet. Lemon bullets never happen. Every one of the millions of bullets every company produces is going to work 100% of the time. So lets use just one bullet and then post a thread about it disregarding the fact that it is possible you had a bad one. That makes sense. BTW, every bullet company does their best to ensure you don't get a lemon, but all admit it happens. Your perfect Barnes company has buckets and buckets of "scraps" that get tossed in the recycle bin. I know. I have seen them. It is possible that just one of those bullets in those bins could make it into a box that anyone could buy. Let's be realistic. This stuff happens and it is no reason to publicly defame a company on a forum. YOU ain't perfect either!

why use a product line that requires you to shoot slower speeds and certian distances in order for the bullet to work as advertised?SIghh

You better look closely at that statement because it sounds like you already use a bullet (and love it) that needs a certain speed window and distance window to work. Nothing is going to work everywhere from every gun at everytime all the time. There are just too many variables. But the closest we have is probably the Nosler Accubond. But going off your obvious pre-determined prejudices, I would bet you aren't going to ever buy another Nosler product. It's your loss but what the hell do I care. Just more animals left for me!

My rifle is sighted in for long range hunting w/ the 30 cal, 180 BT's but just in case my intended quarry is w/in 300 yds, I carry some rounds loaded with the 180 AB's in the shell holder on my rifles butt. The POI is virtually the same; at least not enough difference to worry about w/in 300 yds. My muzzle vel is 2997.

Well, last weekend the the Utah spike elk I shot decided to play by his rule and presented me a 225 yd shot. It took all of a second to pull an AB from the butt's shell holder and slip it into the chamber. A few minutes later I had a very dead elk on the ground with nothing but a fairly clean through and through hole through the rib cage.

I will say, politely, tactfully but directly, know the limitations of your equipment and you'll have this

Knowledge is power and preparedness is having the knowledge. Nice job Alan.

They wont work for my needs,I want a bullet that is going to work on that close shot when I need it to,i dont want to have to slow my rifle down considerably to make that happen.I have used the barnes triples on deer ands elk at 600+,they expanded exactly as they were designed and weight retention was 99%.I made the mistake of buying into Noslers disimformation that was printed in their hunting rag adds without"doing my research" as you put it,wont happen again.Im entitled to my opinion of their product even if you love it,get over it.I had two failures in a 3 day span,I doubt I got 2 lemon bullets in a single box.I have used the triples at 35-600+ and havnt had a single negative issue with them,I load them at 3150 and they are just as accurate as any of the poly tip bullets out to 300 and quite accurate enough to make a 600 yard vitals shot,so there are bullets out there that will do it all for me.So what do you do when that monster buck walks out at 50 yards?Back off another 300 so your bullets work properly?You have a whole different idea of what a hunting bullet should do than i do,just agree that we disagree.

Sharp knife

180 TSX-180 Accubond with a good hit, it doesn't make a difference. Your biggest worry will be how sharp your knife is.
Leaving the 16th for CO. Will have a cow and bull tags.
Will be using the same rifle I took to AK, a Rem LSS 338 RUM, this will be my primary rifle. Hope to take a bull with a 225 gr Accubond. Going to have a second gun, a Sendero 7 RUM. Game plan to fill my cow tag with it shooting 160gr Accubonds.
First year I'll be leaving my 30-378 Wby & 180 TSXs at home. Just to play with something new--no other reason.
Wish me Luck
Phil

Take an old man hunting
I like cats.

Barnes has introduced a TSX with a polymer tip (the TTSX). The latest edition of "Rifle" magazine features a fairly long article on this new bullet. It looks like the TTSX may be a worthy alternative to the Accubond.

They wont work for my needs,I want a bullet that is going to work on that close shot when I need it to,i dont want to have to slow my rifle down considerably to make that happen.I have used the barnes triples on deer ands elk at 600+,they expanded exactly as they were designed and weight retention was 99%..

Let me get this straight. You have recovered Barnes Triple shocks from animals that were not hit in bone at 600 plus yards?? If you have, you just may be the first ever. I live not more than 10 miles from Barnes and have witnessed their bullets being test fired and they pass the test if they open up down to 2200 fps. Anything less than that and they look like they could almost be loaded again. If your speeds are what you say and you are hitting nothing but heart and lungs at 600 yards, your bullet should zip on through with little damage. At least that is the general consensus around these parts in relation to long range. That is the whole reason why they came up with the MRX bullet. It stands for maximum range x bullet. ANd it shares some ideas of your hated ballistic tip and accubond.

Im entitled to my opinion of their product even if you love it,get over it.

No no no. Don't back out of your rumor spreading garbage by giving the old "my opinion" crap. You started a thread about a product that you knew nothing about and tried to show how horrible it performed in an attempt to slander it and discourage it's use for long range hunting. I spend several hours a day everyday dispelling myths and bull$&^% that people like you spread. If you have an unfounded opinion based on no knowledge, keep it to yourself and don't try and make it fact here because there are people here who see right through it. (myself included.)

I had two failures in a 3 day span,I doubt I got 2 lemon bullets in a single box..

Actually, if you were going to get two bullets that were bad, it is highly likely that more bullets in the box are suspect since they make bullets in lots. One lot has a bad batch of copper or occlusions in the jackets and it could be in many bullets in the same box. I would have tested them in phonebooks or some other media before I used them on game and if they failed that, then I would suspect something was not right and not used them. You would also have found out if some were bad and some were good.

So what do you do when that monster buck walks out at 50 yards?Back off another 300 so your bullets work properly?You have a whole different idea of what a hunting bullet should do than i do,just agree that we disagree.

Well, if a bucks walks out at 50 yards, I shoot him. It WILL kill him as your bullet did, I will just lose a little more meat. But at least he will be dead or very close to it. But I don't need to worry about it. Where I hunt, it is rare to get a shot less than 300 yards so I picked a bullet that served my needs.

If I am going to hunt in new areas or load ammo for someone else who doesn't know where they will hunt either, I load Accubonds. They will work at all ranges. So it is a simple matter of knowing your equipment (before you go afield) and choosing the right gear. And if things don't go as you planned, don't blame the product if you used it improperly.

Barnes has introduced a TSX with a polymer tip (the TTSX). The latest edition of "Rifle" magazine features a fairly long article on this new bullet. It looks like the TTSX may be a worthy alternative to the Accubond.

And it works. The design is great. But I don't think it will ever compete with the Accubonds because it is more than double the price and there are way fewer calibers and weights available.

Let me get this straight. You have recovered Barnes Triple shocks from animals that were not hit in bone at 600 plus yards?? If you have, you just may be the first ever. I live not more than 10 miles from Barnes and have witnessed their bullets being test fired and they pass the test if they open up down to 2200 fps. Anything less than that and they look like they could almost be loaded again. If your speeds are what you say and you are hitting nothing but heart and lungs at 600 yards, your bullet should zip on through with little damage. At least that is the general consensus around these parts in relation to long range. That is the whole reason why they came up with the MRX bullet. It stands for maximum range x bullet. ANd it shares some ideas of your hated ballistic tip and accubond.

No no no. Don't back out of your rumor spreading garbage by giving the old "my opinion" crap. You started a thread about a product that you knew nothing about and tried to show how horrible it performed in an attempt to slander it and discourage it's use for long range hunting. I spend several hours a day everyday dispelling myths and bull$&^% that people like you spread. If you have an unfounded opinion based on no knowledge, keep it to yourself and don't try and make it fact here because there are people here who see right through it. (myself included.)

Actually, if you were going to get two bullets that were bad, it is highly likely that more bullets in the box are suspect since they make bullets in lots. One lot has a bad batch of copper or occlusions in the jackets and it could be in many bullets in the same box. I would have tested them in phonebooks or some other media before I used them on game and if they failed that, then I would suspect something was not right and not used them. You would also have found out if some were bad and some were good.

Well, if a bucks walks out at 50 yards, I shoot him. It WILL kill him as your bullet did, I will just lose a little more meat. But at least he will be dead or very close to it. But I don't need to worry about it. Where I hunt, it is rare to get a shot less than 300 yards so I picked a bullet that served my needs.

If I am going to hunt in new areas or load ammo for someone else who doesn't know where they will hunt either, I load Accubonds. They will work at all ranges. So it is a simple matter of knowing your equipment (before you go afield) and choosing the right gear. And if things don't go as you planned, don't blame the product if you used it improperly.
whatever you say!

Nonya, don't get discouraged by a few. I like your post, I thought it was informative.

P44

Let me get my thoughts down.

You "were" shooting a .284 Nosler 150 CT (BT) at 2950. The BC is .493; decent. I don't recall what cartridge you're shooting. Did you mention it?

It disintegrated on the "on" side of your Antelope doe. I admit, I wouln't like that myself, though it did kill the Antelope.

The Nosler 160 Accubond's BC is .531.

Why did you originally choose the 150 CT? Accuracy? Cost? BC?

The Barnes TSX 150, if that is the bullet you decide on runs .408 BC.
The Barnes TSX 160, if that is the bullet you decide on runs .392 BC.
The Barnes TSX 175, .....................................................417 BC.

Nonya,

You're trending, IMHO, in the wrong direction for long range hunting. I'd take a serious look at the Nosler 160 AB. I myself am currently running ladders to work up loads for the 200 AB and 210 Berger VLD.

Like GG (and thanks GG for the congrats), I live quite close to the Barnes factory. If you've seen the Barnes DVD where they are shooting a block of ballistic gel, that range is about 1 mile behind my house. Of course their moving their facilities about an hour south in a few years. Randy and Connie Brooks' are already building their new home down south now. I've been in their factory quite a few times myself. I enlisted one of their employees into the Army about 1-1/2 years ago and his buddy almost enlisted too, if he could have passed the ASVAB (entrance test). I also had Ian Jensen, their former gunsmith, chamber, thread and crown the barrel for my 30-06 Ackley Imp last year, the same gun I shot my spike Elk with last week. Their are bunches of buckets of bullets that don't make it the customer. But having met some of the low paid wage earners who work their, I'd not put it past QC to accidentally send some 2nd's our way. I agree w/ GG, if you got two lemons in the same box, probably most if not all the bullets in that box are bad.

Good luck with your choice.

It DID NOT kill the antelope,it knocked it down and it got back up and stumbled in a circle backwards until I put a .45 acp in its head.Shot the rest of my "lemons" at the gongs this morning and I wont load them again.Patriot,thanx,i wont,seems there are"lemons" in just about every "box",I try to learn from the experience and share what I have found,you would think I was talkin about someones wife.

It DID NOT kill the antelope,it knocked it down and it got back up and stumbled in a circle backwards until I put a .45 acp in its head.Shot the rest of my "lemons" at the gongs this morning and I wont load them again.Patriot,thanx,i wont,seems there are"lemons" in just about every "box",I try to learn from the experience and share what I have found,you would think I was talkin about someones wife.

What a cop out. You really show what you know. You got caught trying to spread your crap, I called you on it, and all you can call me is a "lemon"? You'll have to do better than that.
Your misinformation is your problem along with a severe case of stubborness to admit when you are wrong. If you had just posted results and asked if this was normal instead of trying to claim a failure, you would have been better off. But you proved you knew nothing, didn't care to learn anything, and backed up your argument with contradictory evidence. No sir, you are the lemon. And the juice you leave behind you is very sour. It causes truckfulls of misinformation that many people who don't know better will take as gospel.

Last edited:
bt

This is a good read! I'm in the middle on this one! I've used nosler bt for years now, and by know means am I as knowledgeable about ballistics as GG or a bunch of other people here. I do use some commonsense.
The first thing that pops in my head is that it's a HP with a plastic tip, so it makes me think maximum expansion which makes me think if i use my magnum rifle at close range it will probably fragment! This is commonsense to me.
I agree with GG that the end result weather it be 50 yds or 350 yds is a dead animal, and that was my goal! I don't care if it has a pencil size hole or it blows the front shoulders off! I'm still eating back strap 2nite!
GG i like your passion for this product, but I have to ask do u work Nosler? Do they send you free products?

GG i like your passion for this product, but I have to ask do u work Nosler? Do they send you free products?

No I don't work for them but maybe I should! I do not receive anything from them at all. My passion is not for the products. It is more like a hatred of myth, misinformation, and bull%*$# that gets started by people like NONYA.

As I said before, whether I liked Nosler or not was beside the point. I disagree with what NONYA was doing regardless of any company. If he would have got on here and said, "Barnes bullet failure" and described how he shot an animal at 800 yards and there was no expansion and the animal stumbled around for awhile I would have had the same problem with that. The bullet would not have failed. It did exactly what it does. He just used it for the wrong purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.