Nosler E-tip?

Travis1971

Anyone use these and have an opinion on them ?I was looking to use 150 gr in my 308 and 168 in my 300 RUM

I use them and really like their performance. However for a 308 I don't think any mono is a good choice because they cannot be pushed fast enough for my liking. I prefer to push them close to or over 3000 fps and I have had fantastic results with multiple calibers in this speed range. However I have not had near the results when shooting 2700-2800 fps muzzle. Recovered one 180 E-Tip my brother shot a mule deer doe with pretty much head on around 200 yards out and the tip was just peeled back. Bullet did its job but did not have near enough expansion in my opinion. I believe this speed range applies to all monos for what I like out of a bullet. The RUM you could maybe even step up to a 180 but the 168 will be fantastic too.

I'd go 180 in the RUM. I used the E-Tip one year. Killed 5 critters. Can't complain. Pushed them fast with a stiff charge of Retumbo. mtmuley

The first few years that I had my RUM I used the Nosler ammo loaded with 180 E Tips. Only took a few deer and coyotes with that load but I never had an issue with it. I chrono'd the factory loads at about 3150 out my 26 in.

The only bullet I recovered was a whitetail shot head on at about 200 yds. If I remember correctly the 180 gr weighed about 150-160 after I cleaned it up. I found this stuff on sale when after I got the gun so I gave it a try. It shot about 3/4" at 100 so I stuck with it til I started reloading for it. I'll try and see if I can get a pic of it and post to here.

On the bottom is the 180 gr E Tip that was recovered from a whitetail shot at 200 yds and weighed about 153 grs. That factory load was running about 3150 out the muzzle.

The top bullet is a 200gr Accubond that I recovered from my bull this year at 430 yds. My load for this is also running 3150 and after taking out part of the shoulder weighed 148 grs.

Attachments

• IMG_3352[1].JPG
    IMG_3352[1].JPG
    41 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_3353[1].JPG
    IMG_3353[1].JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 213
I have 30-06 with Shilen barrel that I use for late season cow tag if drawn and never recover 150gr E-Tip from that rifle. Exit hole little bigger than entrance. That's the only E-Tip I've taken anything with and I do like it and I've also taken some with Barnes bullets and had good luck with those also.

I loaded them in my 7mm rm before. I was able to shot 2 moose with the etip and recovered the bullets from each moose. 140 gr Etip took both home and weighed it both weighed in at 139.8 grains. I now am in the process of finding a load with the 30 cal 168 grain in a 30-06 and my 300 win mag. The 7mm was shooting 3150 out of 24 inch barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.