Nosler Custom Brass ?

statjunk

Hello guys,

I bought a bunch of Nosler Custom Brass for a .30-06. I've been shooting pretty mild loads and the primer pockets have gone loose in 6 reloads.

The loads I've been shooting are anywhere between 50 and 55gr of IMR 4350. Though most loads have been 54gr or less. The bullets I've been shooting are Nosler Accubonds. Loaded anywhere between -.03 and -.002 off the lands. Using Winchester primers.

I've seen zero signs of pressure but I'm thinking with as easy as the primers went in last night that I might start seeing some primers coming out. They went in really easy.

I usually get between 10 and 14 loadings out of Winchester brass, which is all I've used until now.

I'm concerned because I have two more boxes of the Nosler Brass in .30-06 and three boxes in .308Win that I have yet to use.

Is this normal for Nosler Brass?

Thanks

Tom

Tom,

Admitting my somewhat biased position here, I'll still throw this out for your consideration. It's my understanding that the Nosler brass is made for them by Norma. Norma brass is generally of very high quality, very uniform and dimensionally held to extremely tight specs. It also has a reputation of being one of the softer brands of brass on the market. Not surprised at all to hear that you're getting more reloads out of your Winchester brass, but I'll wager that the Nosler/Norma is more uniform. Six of one, half dozen of the other, take your choice.

Most brands of brass have their own unique characteristics that set them apart from other makes, and that's what accounts for the wide range of prices we pay for such items. Nosler's good brass, but this seems to be the downside to dimensional uniformity they offer.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Oh boy this is wonderful news... I'm going to give them a call because for the kind of pressure I've been dealing with I find this mildly unacceptable.

Tom

I would strongly encourage you to contact the maker. I have had wonderful success with Nosler brass. In your words there appears to be a problem and Nosler will want to correct it.

Neal

Tom,

Like I said, it's good brass, and six reloads isn't "bad" for many brands of brass when pressures are at a normal max. Not thermonuclear pressures, mind you, just normal industry maximim. Federal's another that tends to be fairly soft, but I've seen (had) 20+ reloadings on cases that were fed lighter loads. Still, it's all relative. I do a lot of Service Rifle competition, mostly with ARs these days, but spent many years with M1s and M1As/M14s. For the Garand-based family of Service Rifles, you get three, count 'em, three (3) firings before you scrap your brass, period. As I said, it's relative.

The Winchester stuff you mentioned (generally) tends to be a bit harder, but again, probably not as uniform, dimensionally. For some this would be an advantage, for others, they'd choose the uniformity over the durability. Ask around here on the boards, and find out what everyone else is using and what sort of brass life they're getting. Nothing's gospel, but you'll probably see some trends that might steer you in the direction of what you want. Hope that helps,

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Kevin is being reserved because Lapua is the Gold Standard PERIOD. In fact, when looking at a reamer to have Kiff build I ALWAYS try to develop a round that can use Lapua as the parent.

Many years have borne this out.

You might want to check out the primers. My experience has been that Winchester primers tend to be a tad smaller than other brands. They were falling out of new brass. Try a few other brands.

Nosler 308 brass was the very worst brass I have ever used in my entire life. It is as goofy as a two headed bullforg and you never know where a bullet will land. If it is made by Norma, which I doubt, then the customizing process has ruined it, because I have shot both head to head in 1K F-class and the Nosler is about 20 point less accurate. The flash hole on Nosler 308 brass is so large you can drive an F-150 through it.

If anybody wants to try it for them self, I have 49 once fired 25-06 cases to shed for half off what it cost new. I didn't find it as bad as others say, but my gun likes FC cases better. It sucks Fed doesn't sell new 25-06 brass. I would buy it. a little soft but my gun groups wonderful with it. and weight sorting has been irrelevant with the FC stuff. the Nosler is all within +- half a grain or less. seems decent but didn't get what I was looking for. oh, and why 49? because that is how many were in the box. yeah, I thought that was kind of crappy too. but not worth the effort of sending them back.

You might want to check out the primers. My experience has been that Winchester primers tend to be a tad smaller than other brands. They were falling out of new brass. Try a few other brands.

I have found this as well.

I have found that my 7mm rem mag shoots better with the Norma brass than it does with the Nosler brass. If Norma does make it, they don't make it the same. My Nosler brass weighs 242gr, with spent primer in. My Norma brass weighs 215gr, with spent primer in.

It sure seems like it's soft and heavy like Federal brass is.

Just finished reading all the replies on the nosler custom brass. I am currently building an edge and noticed the Nosler 300 ultra brass at the local store so I picked up a box. After reading this i was a bit discouraged so went down a weighed all my brass to my eyes i was quite surprised. 50 cases all necked up to 338 but have never been shot weighing between 281.7-282.5 with the majority of cases weighing 282.2. Dunno if this is a good spread but seemed to be dang close to me considering i have 2 remington cases (Same story 300 ultra necked up to 338 and never been shot) on weighed in at 266.4 and the other weighed 270.2

I found the same thing with my 25-06 brass. It was very uniform. and shoots better than winchester or or remington. Just no better than federal. But any Federal brass I have from the same lot (or lot of loaded ammo, I can't locate any new brass.) weighs out just as well, or very close.

I use Nosler brass in my 6mm284 and it works great. I believe FEd210m primers are a little bit tighter fit that WLRs. Also use it in 300 RUM. Have had great results with both.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.